Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fruitnut_gw

Arctic Jay: 3 inch and 27 brix

Arctic Jay is a huge nectarine for my operation. With enough water and thinning they'll hit 4 inches. I like these at 3 inches and 27 brix. They might be low acid but eaten firm they'll take the enamel off your teeth...or so it seems. I like them soft where the taste mellows out.

They're rough due to being grown at a water deficit. But my customers have learned to try them before turning up their nose. After a taste they want all they can get.

{{gwi:117873}}

Comments (11)

• eboone_gw
    10 years ago

Very nice! The only way I could grow fruit at a water deficit would be to put the plants under glass like you-we had 3 in. rain last week and almost 2.5 in. this week by my rain gauge.

• itheweatherman
    10 years ago

One of my favorite fruits.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My greenhouse trees have had about 8 inches water since last November. And they are still growing. I'm not watering again until they stop growing, start dropping leaves, or the fruit starts to shrivel. But my hope is they stop growing first. I usually start watering too early in spring and this year was no exception.

My early fruit this year wasn't up to par. Too much water and not enough thinning. But I think I'm about where I want to be at this point.

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

They still look great, fruitnut! I lost an Arctic Jay to borers four years ago (before I really knew what to spray and when). I had one tiny crop (4 if that is a crop?) but they were great. Very sweet and beautiful. Once again, envy rules! Watermelons are not as delish as 'Arctic Jay'! Mrs. G

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

"They might be low acid "

Well they are not supposed to be. I guess with the high brix, you have favored the ratio to sugar.
    A cultivar to my tastes! This is not a low acid fruit! I may grow this one one day, Arctic Glo feels lonely!
    My problem with the watering technique is here we have lot's of problems with fungi, as do most areas. And no doubt this stresses the tree, and lowers the immune response making is susceptible to disease. Proper fertilization with trace minerals might counteract the problem? If it's well fed except for water, maybe it would be OK?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Drew:

They do say balanced acid to sugar so I guess Arctic Jay is not a low acid variety. Thanks for pointing that out. I tend to think all the Arctic series are low acid and that's not true.

I grew Arctic Glo both in TX and CA and found it too acidic for my taste. It, in contrast to Arctic Jay, has been very small for me. Another $60 down the tubes....;-) I've got to learn when they say sprightly and such they mean acidic.

I think you're going to find nectarines and pluots much more difficult to grow than you think. You're not in a desert no matter how often you may sat that. California stone fruit growing areas get roughly 1-2 inches rain total during the 6 warm months, you get about 20 inches, and my greenhouse zero.

Forget the trace elements and immune responses. If you are to grow these without a shelter you'll need fungicides and insecticides. They're very hard to grow outside here with 12 inches annual rain. Last I tried the stink bugs ruined.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 14:24

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

"I think you're going to find nectarines and pluots much more difficult to grow than you think"

No, you guys have worn me down. I know I'm going to have problems! It will probably be years before I see decent fruit! The rain this spring is heavy too! Now into summer is not stopping! More expected. I'm worried about the trees. I have yet to water them! I moved 2 cherry trees at my cottage to higher ground. OK, so far, but I can see future problems.
    I know how to grow stuff no doubt. But as you say the environment is a huge limiting factor and a greenhouse is looking good right now. I am moving in 5 to 7 years and all here will be left. I will buy a new house with the best conditions possible including room for a greenhouse!
    Here is my Indian Free peach, 3 months old. BYOC cut, it is still below my belt buckle. A coffee cup put next to it for perspective. So even under these terrible conditions, so far so good...
    In the photo far left is Arctic Glo. it is a replacement, as the one planted in march after a head cut failed to produce branches. I didn't want to lose a year, so it was replaced June 11th. First was on citation, the replacement is on Lovell. I didn't cut it down as far, and you can see it will be taller.

Eventually these trees will be bordered by stones to keep the grass away. The right raised bed in the background is a stand of Silver Choice SE hybrid corn. I'm also growing On Deck Sh2 hybrid corn.

Stick bugs hit MI in fall 2010, but are farther north and have not made it down to SE MI yet. They're coming though! None yet found in my county.

My trees even though they are too young to have fruit, have been sprayed 5 times this year so far. 3 different fungicides are in the rotation.

This post was edited by Drew51 on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 16:23

• Noogy
    10 years ago

Gold coast farms in fennville, michigan was growing fantasia and other nectarines for the local produce market and chains. They did a really nice job leaving the fruit on the tree and providing the area with #1 fruit. I really mean #1. Wrinkled bottoms on their #2 fruit allowed us to buy bushels because the fruit was too ripe. They are all gone (pulled out) after last year's debacle and all the labor and chems that go into producing them. Quite a shame. Definitely one of my favorite fruits. Nice job Fruitnut!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Drew:

I know you can do it if anyone can. And it can be done as Noogy has seen. Growing the trees isn't that hard it's growing ripe, high quality fruit that's hard. Looks like you are off to a good start.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Fruitnut, well I really appreciate you sharing your growing experience with pictures and all. It helps a lot to see what can be done. Yeah I just want some decent disease free fruit. Although i will measure brix as this will indicate where I am, what is possible here etc. A very useful tool. And I suspect even low brix fruit is going to kill the supermarket variety. Which is really my inspiration to grow stone fruits.

As far as growing in my area, check this out...

Here is a link that might be useful: SE MI

This post was edited by Drew51 on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 19:30

• Noogy
    10 years ago

Drew, nice looking tree. We're behind you and it looks like you're on the right track. i see success in your future. I'd put money on your fruit blowing cali fruit away. Gardenweb helps alot.