Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm drying apricots in my solar oven.

Posted by Itheweatherman USDA 8b, Elevation 2 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 22:36

Since I have a lot of apricots in my tree, I decided to do experiment: I'm drying two pounds of apricots in my proprietary solar oven. I started at 4:00 Pm, but it was too late for the internal temp to reach 350F, nevertheless I decided to give them a try and as I had suspected they didn't dried up.

I'll give them another chance tomorrow, I'll set my solar oven around 8:00 pm and I will leave it alone...I will check them around 5:00 pm to see if they are ready, well if I have time:).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm drying apricots in my solar oven.

Here's my solar oven.

o

My apricots.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 23:50

At 350F you're not going to get dried fruit. It will be cooked fruit. The right temperature to dry fruit is about 135F.

o

Nice fruits!
Also, you need lots of air flow.

o

Dehydrators are awesome, but one can use the oven too.
I do both depending if I'm up north or home.

o

As the others have said, it's not so much the heat you need, but the ventilation. Laying out the apricots on a window screen in the sun will dry them faster at 80 degrees than in a closed solar cooker at 350!

I have yet to build a solar oven or solar dehydrator, so I use the window screen method. Depending on the weather and the particular food, this takes a few to several days.

Your setup should work well if you provide some vents that you can open in the bottom and top of the oven. This will vent out the moisture and prevent the fruits from cooking.

o

• Posted by campv camp verde AZ (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 13:46

I use my dehydrator at 135 for about 8 hrs then turn the apricots inside out and dry another 8
Fruitnut is right at 350 they will be cooked and don't forget to spray them with citrus juice of some kind or they will look very very brown.

o

A friend made a batch of dehydrated cantaloupe....wow is all I can say it truly was like eating soft chewy candy.

o

My apricots got completely overcooked--I set up the solar stove at 8:30pm, then I went to HDOC to take care of the Community garden...when I came back home they were completely overcooked and steaming. They are completely un-edible---they are a mush...:o.

o

Don't be too upset, drying apricots just right is pretty tricky anyway. Mine have always worked out but they have never been as good some of the best from the store. They easily get too tough or too brittle.

Apple slices and mulberries, now those are easy and you get a good the same consistency each time once you figure out the right formula.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here