Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

question on potted blueberry on balcony

Lynn Nevins
9 years ago

I have Blueberry shrubs in large pots, on my 4th floor balcony which faces West and has no obstruction near the balcony (so it can get very windy). I only learned recently that being on an elevated balcony creates a different environment for plants, versus say the same potted plants sitting on the ground.

In any case, here in the Northeast we had a cold winter and lots of snow. So I'm not sure how much this affected my plants.

Last year the blueberries did well. The blueberries (which were only 1-2 years old at the time) had flowers in the spring and some berries in the summer.

This year is different. For my blueberries, I periodically sprayed the leaves with a fish fertilizer solution and I also added diluted bloodmeal to the soil (as I did last year). And while both plants have healthy growth, neither developed flowers. Wouldn't any flowers have appeared by now? On one of the plants, I DID see the beginnings of what looked like flowers but....I seem to recall the flowers last year were all white. This year on the one plant, I was seeing little buds that appeared to be purple, but then they sort of became dried out, shriveled and just 'fell off' (note I've been watering my blueberries well). Note that last fall I also added a particular mulch...can't remember the type right now...but it was mentioned as being very good in particular for blueberries...

What do you think is happening with my blueberries...shouldn't they have flowers by now?

P.S. I've learned that even though these plants are hardy for my zone, that the fact that they are on a balcony means they need protection during the winter. So I will protect them better next winter with burlap, bubble wrap, leaves etc.

Thank you!!!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner