Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Protecting young peach tree this winter?

Posted by squirrelwhispererpup 9a (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 22:37

I have a Bonanza miniature peach tree in a big container, planted this past March. It has put on a good leaf canopy and is extending its branches. It is a low chill variety recommended by local extension service, which is essential where i live (Houston). I know it is deciduous but after it drops its leaves, should I provide it with extra protection (drape a flannel sheet over it, for example) when freezes are predicted this winter? While it doesn't freeze here very often and I can count on one hand the number of snows we have had in the past decade, temps can go from 70 to 30 degrees in a matter of hours when a cold front comes through so I don't know how much it will be acclimatized when the Gulf Coast version of winter arrives. Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Protecting young peach tree this winter?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 23:28

It won't need protection in fall or when dormant in winter. But after the flower buds start swelling in late winter then protect it from freezing. In your area that should only be once or twice a year that it might need protection. Even after bud swell and through flowering it has to drop below 28F to cause damage. But the forecast isn't always that good so freezing is a good protection threshold.

o
RE: Protecting young peach tree this winter?

Thanks, fruitnut!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here