Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Most productive apricot for San Diego?

Posted by brownmola San Diego, CA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 22:46

Well, I've always disliked apricots. I don't like them dried and the few I have had fresh always had a lot of bitterness to them. I guess I just have never had a good, ripe one until yesterday. My wife just bought a bunch from a farmer's market and I looked at her with great disdain. She basically forced me to try one and it was unbelievably good. After I ate 4 or 5 in one sitting, I actually went back to that market and bought about 20 more. Now I really want a tree (talk about coming 180 degrees around within a day or two).

Any recommendations on apricots for San Diego? I'm about 10 miles away from the coast. I would sacrifice a little bit of flavor for more productivity.

Royal Blenheim and Katy seem to the ones I usually see sold here. There were some large Royal Rosa apricots at my local nursery.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Most productive apricot for San Diego?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 23:11

Attached link from CRFG lists low chill apricots for your area.

Even the best apricots are bitter and astringent unless fully ripe, ie soft. Sometimes they fall off the tree before they are fully ripe. Holding a day or two at room temperature will soften and ripen the fruits.

Here is a link that might be useful: low chill apricots for San Diego area

This post was edited by fruitnut on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 23:20

o

Thanks Fruitnut! I saw that page earlier today but I'd like to get first hand recommendation if possible. I have a beauty plum that I bought based on a similar CRFG document and it has provided 2 plums in 4 years despite being a pretty large and healthy tree.

o

brown....I have grown many varieties here in SoCal. Please, do not plant a Katy. Despite the hype...it is not a true low chiller (I had one for 12 years before giving it the axe). Royals (Blenheim) are marginal producers...depending on chill hours for that winter. I now am growing a "Goldkist". It is my final hope of getting a great producer. Most apricots just really need more chill. goodluck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here