Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet Cherries died

Posted by jagchaser 5A Nebraska, Late fr (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 22:55

I had a couple sweet cherries start to wilt and then completely browned up. Now they have nothing but crunchy leaves. Total time from healthy tree to complete burn down was only 10 days or so. The leaves never showed any shot holes, lesions, or spots of any kind.

The trees that died were "van" and "black tartarian". The BT had about half of the tree that didnt bud this spring. I am not sure why. Wild swings in temp for sure. We had 4 inches of snow on the first of may and 100 on may 14th.
The "sweetheart" and "bing" are only 15 ft away from the "van" and they were not affected at all.

I transplanted some vans and sweethearts, from this same orchard, to my new location, in alot drier area. About a 100 miles further south, up on a hill instead of down in the river valley where these died. None of the transplanted ones had any problem, and they were pulled out about a week before symptoms showed up on the dead ones.

Anybody ever heard of some problem that affects van and not sweetheart? It really has me stumped. Im about ready to give up on sweet cherries totally. None of them bloomed this spring, but my sour cherries have fruit growing good.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet Cherries died

One of my two sweet cherries died as well. What is it with these trees???

o

Cherries, depending on rootstock, can be very sensitive to wet soil. Plant any new trees in the drier site.

Trees that die from drowning would behave just as you describe.

o

f...that is advice I had never heard before. I bet that could be my problem. I always am conscious to keep my babies damp after planting....not to let them dry out.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 4, 13 at 11:06

Fireduck:

Newly planted trees need to be kept moist but not constantly wet. The big issue is from soil that has poor internal drainage, ie high water table in spring or after big rains. Mainly that's what kills fruit trees. But some people water so much that they drown the trees in soil with marginal drainage.

o

We had a few rains, but nothing special. I didnt water them yet this spring. The water table is high here, but like I said the sweetheart cherry only 15 ft away has no symptoms and......

I went out and looked tonight and I see there is rootstock sucker growth on the van cherry. That growth looks healthy. If it was drowned then nothing would be there.

I dont know what rootstock they came on, but I got them from Peaceful Valley, so I assume Dave Wilson nursery. Probaby Mazzard?

The good news is some of my montmorency cherry grafts took so I should have better luck next year.

o

Thinking F is correct. My soil is really heavy clay. Basically when planting...I end up creating a large "pot or container". There is no way around it. I throw in some gypsum. Once the tree breaks through the clay and gets established...I am good. The clay soil is a pain!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here