Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jagchaser

Sweet Cherries died

jagchaser
10 years ago

I had a couple sweet cherries start to wilt and then completely browned up. Now they have nothing but crunchy leaves. Total time from healthy tree to complete burn down was only 10 days or so. The leaves never showed any shot holes, lesions, or spots of any kind.

The trees that died were "van" and "black tartarian". The BT had about half of the tree that didnt bud this spring. I am not sure why. Wild swings in temp for sure. We had 4 inches of snow on the first of may and 100 on may 14th.
The "sweetheart" and "bing" are only 15 ft away from the "van" and they were not affected at all.

I transplanted some vans and sweethearts, from this same orchard, to my new location, in alot drier area. About a 100 miles further south, up on a hill instead of down in the river valley where these died. None of the transplanted ones had any problem, and they were pulled out about a week before symptoms showed up on the dead ones.

Anybody ever heard of some problem that affects van and not sweetheart? It really has me stumped. Im about ready to give up on sweet cherries totally. None of them bloomed this spring, but my sour cherries have fruit growing good.

Comments (6)