Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honeycrisp Apple Tree

Posted by als5kids2 MN (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 22:55

We planted a honey crisp apple tree 6 years ago, the first year it blossomed and had a good amount but not too many apples. Since then it has not blossomed at all, we bought another one about 2 years later. That one has never blossomed. We have a crab apple tree about 30 ft. away and it has bloomed every year. It gets new shoots and has had a lot of growth otherwise. We would like apples from it again, is there something we need to be doing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honeycrisp Apple Tree

honeycrisp are a pita. I have the same issue with them. do you know what rootstock they are on? have you been pruning them or training the branches. whereabouts in mn are you I'm near Brainerd

o

I consider Honeycrisp a pretty easy apple to get flowering, but I'm in southeast NY. Have you pruned the trees at all?

o

This similar topic was discussed recently. You may have some ideas after checking out the post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Honey Crisp tree does not bloom

o

I'm about 25 miles north of Brainerd in MN and my Honeycrisp are my slowest growing apple tree. Part of that may be that it is a zone 4 tree and most of the rest of my trees are zone 3. I'm not getting any dieback, but the growth is SLOW. No blossoms yet.

o

I started planting apple trees in 2009. 50 trees that year, 5 varieties all on semi-D. 25 the next. 25 the next.

Last year frost got the blossoms on everything except a few plum trees.

This year almost every apple tree over 3 years old, including numerous ones that never had flowers before, are loaded with blossoms. I've been thinning like crazy.

So, for me in central MN, it took 5 years including an extra year due to frost. I have 25 two year old honeycrisp that seem to be doing well but did not flower this year.

o

Oldryder-

You're going to be drowning in apples in a few years!

o

"You're going to be drowning in apples in a few years! "

T hope so. add 75 cherry trees to the mix. this year also the 1st time bearing for most of them.

My tentative plan is to have a pick your own operation as a retirement hobby/income a couple of years from now. since the trees take so long to start bearing it's taken a lot of advance work,

I figure I've learned about 10% of what I need to know so far with most of the education coming from this forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here