Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
knife for budding

Posted by franktank232 z5 WI (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 29, 12 at 22:56

Photobucket

I have a real grafting knife, but decided to try this knife (some type of paring knife) this year...its VERY sharp and seems to work pretty good. Only problem I have is a few times when removing a bud, a little to much oomph after i get past the bud and I shave about 8 inches extra off the branch...always doing it on the tree and not on the bud stick...who knows. The tie is color coding so i know what is what (I have several colors)...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: knife for budding

Moving this down...

Any comments on budding or tips/techniques...go right ahead and add them.

o

Nice flat edge. I like thin blades that aren't too wide. What are you budding/grafting at this time?

I got some young twiggy pear wood and was thinking about grafting but I think this heat is too much maybe. I 'handled' my last scions with waxy hands. I figure it'll impart some resistance from they drying winds even though they were dormant still. I don't know about non dormant scions though.

While talking blades,I'm wondering if a curve blade and hence a concaved effect on the t-bud, when inserted, would increase chance of contact vs. flat scion t-bud against curved inner wood. I usually dont pop out 'wood' on inside of bud.

o

I've done plum, peach and apricot so far...Not sure doing this in the 95F heat is a good thing (for me or the bud), but i've tried making sure that I'm in the shade of the tree to place buds.

I learned off of a U of Nebraska publication that putting the bud on your tongue as you work is a good method to keep it moist. I guess it doesn't hurt anything? Its pretty humid out here, so drying out shouldn't be an issue.

o

Noogy,
I don't do much summer budding, but when I do, I 'shave' just a little bark off the 'sides' of my budshield, in order to slightly expose cambium on the sides, in addition to the flat surfaces that would ordinarily be in contact with cambium cells left behind on the stock wood when you lifted the flaps.
I do this same shaving technique when making bark grafts with dormant scions (really not much different than a t-bud placement, if you think about it).

o

Thanks lucky. Your comment answered my cambial contact question.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here