Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Self Fertile Hardy Kiwi Varieties

Posted by spladle160 none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 22:57

Does anyone know if what varieties of Actinidia Arguta other than Issai are self fertile if any? My male kiwis didn't bloom this spring but my Kens Red has still set 4 fruit and another female, a national arboretum #7 I believe, set 3 fruit. Now I'm wondering if someone nearby may also have kiwis or if these varieties are actually a little self fertile. Any insight?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Self Fertile Hardy Kiwi Varieties

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 13:21

I have Issai and even that hasn't set big crops without male flowers. In its first 2 years, it set a very small percent of the flowers- maybe 5%.

This year (3rd leaf) is the first year that Ken's Red and Geneva have flowered (just a few each). But, I won't know for certain if they are partially self-fertile, as I got a single male flower.

As an aside, I got a a huge bloom from Issai this year. In the first 2 years, I got a few dozen flowers each year (1-2 fruit setting). This year, it is covered with flowers (see below pic, which is just a small part of the vine).

o

Ive only heard of issai, but there might be some in trials or development.

My issai looks like hell, while my arctic beauty looks amazing, no crazy growth i expected either...

o

You can graft a male onto the female and have only one plant that will self fertilize.

o

I found a variety on Tripple Brook Farm's website being sold under the name '119-40-B'. They claim it is self fertile and that it was taken from a plant growing at the Arnold Arboretum in Massachusetts. Here's the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tripple Brook Farms

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 2:07

My Ken's Red is the only kiwi that bloomed anywhere near me. It had about 30 flowers, for the first time, and has 3 fruit on it now.

o

My anna hardy kiwis have set fruit for the first time this year. I have 2 female and one male. My pruning technique was setting the 12 year old vines back. Once I ceased aggressive winter pruning, they started to bloom and set fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here