Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
too much rain

Posted by darobi2459 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 23:04

Never thought I would say this, but I think we are getting too much rain...The raspberries and strawberries are yellowing a bit. Blue berries are doing just fine though :) Any one else experiencing this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: too much rain

I live way down south abought 30 miles from the gulf of Mexico the first 3 months of this year we had approx 30 inches of rain. Finally it slowed down I had a bunch of new trees in the ground the apricots started turning brown and losing leaves the new nectarines started loosing leaves. My new trees are finally trying to live over such a mess, New leaves coming out on the apricots the nectarines are holding on to the few leaves they have left all I can do is hope they make it.Hope it turns out better for you.

o

We have had a lot of rain in the Great Lakes region too, but my soil is at least 1/3 peat (Brambles/strawberries are in raised beds) so strawberries and raspberries look fine. When adding compost or manure in the spring, you may want to mix some peat in too!

o

My complaint with Mother Nature is that just as soon as the weather warms up and the blossoms all pop open for pollination, then She sends a ton of rain to scare all the bees away. Other than that, I think the amount of rain has been a little low, if anything, around here in eastern WI.

o

Lots of rain and cool here north of Green Bay, but adequate sunshine, and i have excellent drainage. Not sure if it was good enough weather for proper poliation of my pears, and apples are still in blossom. Looks like more rain this week, but at least i don't have to irrigate much this year.

o

Way too much rain here. I may not even be able to get to my strawberry bed, the ground is so flooded. Already seeing signs of botrytis in the ripening fruit. If the season isn't totally wiped out, I'll be surprised.

o

Waaaaaaaaaaay too much rain here...over 8 inches in May...i think a few of my Tomcots look like garbage because of all the rain...

o

It seems pretty wide spread than :( I should amend with some more peat, its probably about 1/4 peat slightly raised. I use ever bearing strawberries too, not sure what difference that would make but....This week looks better here in central Illinois at least.

Just got my first load of strawberries this weekend :)

o

I went out today to put the bird netting on the strawberry bed, couldn't get through the mud and standing water. Laid down a line of boards to walk on, but it still feels like the Tar Pit underfoot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here