Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darobi2459

too much rain

darobi2459
10 years ago

Never thought I would say this, but I think we are getting too much rain...The raspberries and strawberries are yellowing a bit. Blue berries are doing just fine though :) Any one else experiencing this?

Comments (8)

• john222-gg
    10 years ago

I live way down south abought 30 miles from the gulf of Mexico the first 3 months of this year we had approx 30 inches of rain. Finally it slowed down I had a bunch of new trees in the ground the apricots started turning brown and losing leaves the new nectarines started loosing leaves. My new trees are finally trying to live over such a mess, New leaves coming out on the apricots the nectarines are holding on to the few leaves they have left all I can do is hope they make it.Hope it turns out better for you.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

We have had a lot of rain in the Great Lakes region too, but my soil is at least 1/3 peat (Brambles/strawberries are in raised beds) so strawberries and raspberries look fine. When adding compost or manure in the spring, you may want to mix some peat in too!

• dmtaylor
    10 years ago

My complaint with Mother Nature is that just as soon as the weather warms up and the blossoms all pop open for pollination, then She sends a ton of rain to scare all the bees away. Other than that, I think the amount of rain has been a little low, if anything, around here in eastern WI.

• valgor
    10 years ago

Lots of rain and cool here north of Green Bay, but adequate sunshine, and i have excellent drainage. Not sure if it was good enough weather for proper poliation of my pears, and apples are still in blossom. Looks like more rain this week, but at least i don't have to irrigate much this year.

• ltilton
    10 years ago

Way too much rain here. I may not even be able to get to my strawberry bed, the ground is so flooded. Already seeing signs of botrytis in the ripening fruit. If the season isn't totally wiped out, I'll be surprised.

• franktank232
    10 years ago

Waaaaaaaaaaay too much rain here...over 8 inches in May...i think a few of my Tomcots look like garbage because of all the rain...

• darobi2459
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It seems pretty wide spread than :( I should amend with some more peat, its probably about 1/4 peat slightly raised. I use ever bearing strawberries too, not sure what difference that would make but....This week looks better here in central Illinois at least.

Just got my first load of strawberries this weekend :)

• ltilton
    10 years ago

I went out today to put the bird netting on the strawberry bed, couldn't get through the mud and standing water. Laid down a line of boards to walk on, but it still feels like the Tar Pit underfoot.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz