Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best fruit trees for San Diego

Posted by sdmarkus none (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 23:05

Howdy ho there!!!

Decided to plant some fruit trees out front between the sidewalk and the street. Should compliment the currently under construction veggie garden nicely.

Any recommendations of species that are best suited for this environment. My soil definitely has some silt/sand but can be amended. Have started to learn about chill hours and such and wanted to ask the experts.
Many thanks,

Mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best fruit trees for San Diego

I think this is where you want to look:

http://crfgsandiego.org/FruitsforSanDiego.HTML

o

San Diego? Probably anything...any fruit... Chill hours may be your only thing holding you back.

o

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Went back to Walt Anderson's and walked out with these three beauties:

Lang Jujube
Photobucket

Spice Zee Nactaplum
Photobucket

Yellow Lemon Guava
Photobucket

o

Lemon Guavas taste good! You'll enjoy them. Figs and Pomegranates are good for parking strips too because they are survivors!

o

Pretty cool how you did that...What do you lay over that fabric? Rock? woodchips?

o

Thanks Frank! Compacted gravel with a DG topper will go down above the fabric, maybe a couple flagstone or paver walkways. Pretty excited to watch these babies grow...bring on the fruit!:)

o

Good luck on ever getting any fruit, if you planted them between the sidewalk and the street... not that the trees won't produce there; only that it is unlikely that YOU will be the beneficiary.

o

Depends.... many people just walk by these things. I've seen loquats falling and rotting for the past 3-4 weeks. No one is eating them!

I see fallen citrus/plums it's pretty sick. Some kind of market failure because people buy these things at the store yet they are rotting all around the neighborhood. I think OP will be okay. If he turns some passerby onto fresh fruit, that's a good thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here