Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ripe but Sour peach

Posted by lateriser VA (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 23, 12 at 23:06

Greetings everyone,

First I would like to thank everyone on here for helping me get this far. The last couple years that I have been using this forum have led to results in the orchard that were far greater than the previous years. Now on to my last hurtle to getting great peaches. One of my peach trees is just now ripening. I can't remember the variety, but I bought it from Lowes. Today, I picked my first peach and it was soft and dripping juicy, but the fruit was completely sour. There was no tartness and the color of the peach was almost entirely red with some yellow. Should I expect the other peaches on the tree to taste the same? Is there some sort of problem with my soil? Can I change anything that would help the other peaches on the tree taste sweeter this year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ripe but Sour peach

First, don't panic yet. Sometimes first fruit ripens because of some defection and it did not actually properly ripen. Come back when half the fruit has ripened and let us know what it tastes like.

I don't think sour would be the result of anything you are doing, you can be responsible for bland fruit with a variety of mistakes but sour is different. I think you will find subsequent fruit to be fine.

I don't think Lowe's would be selling anything other than mainstream varieties, all of which are selected partially on the ability to produce sweet peaches.

o

Thanks, Harvestman. I am going to hold out and see what happens. Hopefully, the rest will come out sweet.

o

Vanilla ice cream was invented to accommodate slices of sour peaches.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here