Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
using round-up around trees?

Posted by kansasfruiter (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 23, 10 at 23:07

Hi,
We have a community garden of 30 fruit trees. It is on a drip system and looks great except for the grass. The landscaper who has been leading the project wants to use round-up around the tree to kill the grass. Is this an approved method. I would hate to kill the grass.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: using round-up around trees?

Kansasfruiter:

I have been using glyphosate around the base of my trees to control weeds and grasses for over 30 years with no problems at all, and certainly no harm to the trees. I don't know what you mean when you say you would hate to kill the grass, since perennial weed grasses like wiregrass are often a major part of the problem around the trees. I apply it at least twice during the season, and if I did not the weeds and grasses would be an ugly mess.

Glyphosate (Roundup) stays put right where it is sprayed, unlike 2,4-D which can vaporize and damage nearby dicotyledonous plants. Choose a day to spray with low winds and no thunderstorms in prospect for at least 3 hours. The alternative is to pull out all the weeds by hand, and many of the deep-rooted perennials are impossible to pull out.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

o

Thanks Don,
I meant that I would hate to kill the trees (not grass). I appreciate the advice.

o

Yeah, watch out for that 2,4-D, I have a client with badly shriveled leaves on his pears from an application of that stuff that volatized. It was applied by a very expensive landscape management company (expensive should not to be confused with the word competent). Trees will live, but on a million dollar landscape they are an eyesore.

o

Hi KansasFruiter-
I recently posted a similar thread on this. See link below.
-Glenn

Here is a link that might be useful: Roundup around base of apple trees

o

In the Napa valley grape growing industry, roundup is a major component of the weed control strategy. Special sprayers are manufactured just for that purpose. Al

o

I'll be a bit cautious using Round-Up around young trees. I believe it may have been the cause or one of the causes that took out my 2 year old orchard last year. I got some interesting feedback on the same question at the link below. I have since replanted and things are going well so far. I guess my inexperienced opinion might be that it could be fine around more mature trees but I'm going to keep it away from my babies right now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Round-Up in the Orchard?

o

We've covered this issue here before. As I recall, young trees are more likely damaged by Roundup with summer applications when there's carbohydrate movement to the roots. Anything green can certainly deliver roundup to roots if the foods going that way. Young bark tends to be green (chloraphyl)

Stone fruit is particularly vulnerable.

o

I use it, but nowhere near my fruit trees.

Spray on a day that is absolutely dead calm so the wind can't transport droplets.

I would hold a barrier between the spray and the trees (sheet of cardboard, tarp...). You don't want to get so much as a drop on a leaf of a tree you want to keep.

I'd use a nice thick mulch up close to the trees to kill the weeds and keep the spray further back.

o

I killed a young apple tree with Roundup. It had been planted recently from bare root stock. Other than that there have been no issues. I figure just be damn careful around very young trees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here