Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sautesmom

Mulberry reviews

My Morus Nigra--Noir de Spain is four years old now and about 15 feet high, and this year I've got a nice big crop, and they have begun to ripen.

I also discovered some mulberries growing in our local park, and sampled some and--what a difference! They have an immediate mulberry flavor, which dissipates quickly into insipid. (I think they are white mulberries, but who knows, the tree trunks are at least six feet across so they are probably a hundred years old)

MY mulberries are absolutely delicious, heaven, like the most flavorful sweet/tart blackberry there is. It must be the difference between Morus Nigra and Morus Alba. Glad I planted the right one!

Carla in Sac

Comments (13)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    15 years ago

Carla:

Thanks for the review. Raintree says Noir is hardy in zones 8-10. They also say it is hardy to 0F, not exactly the same zone. I should cut down my sweet cherries and plant something else. Several mulberries would be something different, but which ones?

I know Pakistan is very good. I grew it when I lived in CA. Raintree says zones 6-10 for it but really doubt it is that hardy. Guess I should try it just to see. Raintree has about 6 other varieties that sound good.

The Fruitnut

• hemnancy
    15 years ago

Noir de Spain and it's replacement both didn't make it through the winter for me, and I'm zone 8. My Black Beauty is a tree with a very high graft and has fruited but I have to be careful to keep it watered or the buds don't develope in spring, the water may have a hard time getting up there. The fruit is very flavorful but that is because it is so acidic- it can burn my throat. I like the flavor of Illinois everbearing and my M. alba weeping mulberry just fine. They both bore at a very early age. I also have an Oscar but it suffered severe die-back in the leader- bark peeling off all the way around so I had to remove back to sound wood of lower branches. I didn't get fruit from it yet because of the die-back last year, hopefully it will be OK this year. I also have a Lavender mulberry and fruit is not as flavorful but OK, and slowly bearing more each year. It is not noticed by birds or staining, so that is nice.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

I'm also having a problem with new, small Morus nigra dawdling or dying outright. However, one on a Seattle street was 22' tall a few years ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article - Hybrid Mulberry by Arthur Lee Jacobson

• eukofios
    11 years ago

These responses were very helpful, even though 2008. I was thinking about buying a Noir de Spain but now decided not to. I have Illinois Everbearing, 4 years old, and I like the fruit from that tree. Guess I only need one variety of mulberry. Thanks 4 years later for the helpful reviews.

• fabaceae_native
    11 years ago

eukofios, I'm surprised by these poor cold hardiness reviews for Noir de Spain, since my Morus nigra 'black beauty' survives my winters easily, and even made it through our record low of -23 it's first winter in the ground. Maybe the PNW is too wet in winter, or not hot enough in summer, at least for the weaker individuals?

I've tasted a lot of mulberries, and those of Morus nigra really are vastly better than any other. The tree is slow growing (I started with 10 gallon size) and not overly productive, but does stretch the harvest out about as long as IE.

• eukofios
    11 years ago

Fabaceae, Maybe you are right about the wetness. Or, since winters here have a lot of warm / cold / warm / cold some trees leave dormancy and are killed by frosts that don't kill dormant trees. I've never got an apricot to survive here either.

• john_in_sc
    11 years ago

I will throw in my impressions as well...

Perhaps it's the effect of the hot, humid, rainy East coast - but so far, my Pakistan Mulberry isn't worth it....

I think I have got 2 fruit in 3 years.. and those have had a weird "Grassy flavor".... Not to mention sweet without any acidity....

It's going to get another year here... but I am not predicting good things... I am willing to give a Nigra a shot - as it sounds like it's more suited to my tastes....

Thanks

• yukkuri_kame
    11 years ago

I've got a very large (3 foot diameter trunk) non-fruiting mulberry I'm going to be grafting lower branches to fruit with different varieties.

I think I have some scion from pakistan & 2 others, can't remember now...the grafts go on as soon as new roll of grafting tape arrives.

I grew up in NY with a dark purple mulberry. Spent a lot of time in that tree picking mulberries, though I can't say it had special flavor.

When I was in Greece, there was a very delicious white mulberry by the taverna at the secluded beach, but perhaps my experience of the fruit was enhanced by the scenery.

Next year I'll be begging for more scion.

• skyjs
    11 years ago

It's funny, because I live in zone 8 , Portland area, and my Noir de Spain has really never had problems. It's very productive, and I even moved it after it reached 12 feet high, and it's still very productive. I have always had mine in full sun.
    John S
    PDX OR

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Love mulberries

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

Is that your hand,bamboo rabbit? Brady

• thisisme
    11 years ago

Thank you sautesmom. I just purchased a Morus Nigra--Noir of Spain Black Mulberry from Whitman Farms today based on your review.

• aliaub
    8 years ago

thisisme, I know this is a very old post but how did you end up liking the Noir of Spain, how large is it and how does it do in this climate (same as me :) )