Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bug ID on fruit trees

Posted by steve333 z5 CO Mountains (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 23:25

I think this maybe the same insect as nobueno posted pics of back on 6-9.

I don't have a pic yet, but it looks very much like a small (1/2 the dimension each way) house fly. It is congregating on the ends of branches, one or two to an end, and appears to have its head in close to the branch. Perhaps eating or sucking sap. It does not seem to be eating leaves or buds, at least I have not seen them on green growth or any damage yet. I have seen them on the tips of several fruit trees, apples, plums and cherries. Usually on the trees that are not yet as far along in the bloom.

I'll try to get a pic, but can any suggest what these might be from the description?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bug ID on fruit trees

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 12:29

steve:

Flies don't damage leaves or stems. Some do lay eggs in fruit but don't suck sap or eat leaves. I suspect they are just using your tree for rest or some other harmless purpose.

o

Have you looked at the Colorado Extension website? If you can't find it there then maybe send them an email and ask for identification. The only thing that looked slightly similar is the Tachinidae.

http://www.nadsdiptera.org/Tach/Gen/tachintr.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Western Colorado Insects

o

I've got the same bug. I just noticed this little wasp/fly on my peach leaves. It was scouring the bottoms of the leaves so my guess is that it's a good bug.

Last year when Colorado was on fire we got a lot of strange bugs in Denver that I had never seen before. This year we're on fire again and the same thing is happening.

My guess is that they've been displaced and are finding a new habitat.

If anyone has any extra rain could you please send it this way. It is just flipping hot and dry here. Colorado is such a drama queen. Two days ago it thundered and lightninged and the wind blew like crazy for a couple of hours. Finally it started to rain and it stopped 10 minutes later. What a let-down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here