Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watermelons not growing

Posted by aznboi385 CA/zone 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 11 at 23:33

I planted sugar babies 2 months ago and just 2 weeks ago it started growing vines. Now the vine seems to be expanding and still nothing yet. No flowers or anything. I thought it would take 3 months for the watermelons to ripen from seed, but from what it looks like right now, I'll never get my melons. Is there something I can do to speed up the process? Is there something I should be doing?

I keep the watermelon watered and don't really let it dry.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watermelons not growing

I think you were just too early planting your seed before there was enough heat to grow. They should be OK now since the weather has warmed up to about normal. If your soil is the normal clay/loam of most of California, maintaining the moisture should be all you need to do. Al

o

Watermelon dry land crop stop watering it grow in about 2 weeks.

o

Thanks for the advice, folks! Only problem is...one of you say to keep the moisture, the other says to stop watering...so, which one should I do? Am I misinterpreting something here?

o

I've been keeping the watermelon moist and I saw a pea sized watermelon appear last week. Only problem is that it still hasn't grown since...

o

Probably not pollinated.

o

I've had similar troubles. This is my first time growing watermelons...sugar babies. My watermelon flowers seem to just brown up and die after blooming. Any suggestions or tips?

See pic of the watermelon flowers here:

http://blacksquirrelgarden.blogspot.com/2011/06/fruit-gains-and-losses.html

o

I am growing sugar babies too. I was a little concerned about them at first, because while they looked healthy, they weren't really growing at all! I think I planted them in March. They grew a tiny bit over the months after that, but didn't really take off until late May. Now they are finally visibly growing every day. I water them and everything else every day, and it receives full sun until about 4pm. I'm fertilizing with a little Miracle Gro every 2 weeks or more. That's it.

I happened to just snap this picture today... and thankfully the two plants I have are covered in these:

http://instagr.am/p/GtDC5/?ref=nf

o

mbirming: I think you were having the same problem as me.
eva_jae: That still looks kinda small, and I'm hoping you weren't as confused as me.

I thought that the small melon means that it's pollinated and starting to grow. What I have come to realize is that the small melon is actually the female flower...if it doesn't get pollinated, it won't grow pas that size. I took the male flowers (the one without the tiny watermelon on the bottom) and rubbed the pollen all over the female flower. Now it looks like the watermelon is getting bigger. I'm still going to have to wait a few days to be sure and hope it doesn't shrivel up.

Does anyone know how long it will take the sugar baby to grow full size once it has been pollinated? It's been consistently over 80 degrees these days.

o

So can anyone tell me if I should water everyday or if I should stop the watering and only water once in a week or 2 weeks? The temperatures get up to 80-90 these days. I'm in Los Angeles, CA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here