Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poolecw

Grow tubes and grapes

poolecw
10 years ago

I planted my first grape plants this spring...Concords and some scuppernong plants. They are about knew high now and some are really starting to put out the leaves. I hear of some vineyards using grow tubes with their young plants. Do any of you guys have any experience using them? Do they seem to help "grow" the plants any better? I've already bought a few tubes to try but haven't installed them yeet.

Comments (5)

• chwelch
    10 years ago

From what I've seen, it appears that the function of a grow tube is just to protect the young tender vines from damage either from pests or the wind. I don't think they have any other benefits.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

Could also protect from herbicide such as roundup. Depending on materials it might warm the plant or cool it off. Grapes like it warm to hot.

• TheDerek
    10 years ago

They can also protect from desiccating winds during the winter if you live in a cold/windy area like ND!

• poolecw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

From what I have read regarding grow tubes, not only do they protect the young grapes, but they provide a greenhouse type environment. I may put them at the start of winter and mound up top soil to protect them through the winter.

• Kevin Reilly
    10 years ago

Don't think you need to protect them in Zone 10 :)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath