Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cucumber/Melon plant only has female flowers??

Posted by cathers none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 23:35

I have this vine growing and I'm not sure if its a cucumber or cantaloupe (because we had a problem with the watering system breaking, so I thought the seedlings died and replanted but everything sprouted). It has about 8 flowers on it, and when I went to pollinate them, I noticed all of them seem to be female. Is that possible or am I mistaking? I don't see a single male flower, and in the photo you can see 3 flowers and look like female. All the rest look the same.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cucumber/Melon plant only has female flowers??

Looks like cucumber. A male flower might be in the vicinity in another garden. If not I wonder if the cucumbers will be seedless? Never heard of a seedless cucumber.

Unless you are trying to create special hybrids bugs pollinate long before you get to try.

o
RE: Cucumber/Melon plant only has female flowers??

I do have a pickling cucumber plant also that has only male flowers on it so far (it's still young) but it just didn't make sense to me that the first plant wouldn't produce any male flowers. I never heard of this happening and couldn't find anything on the web either. This plant with female flowers only is younger than the cucumber plant with just male flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here