Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonton101

Any Experience with Florida Hill Nursery?

Tonton101
12 years ago

Anyone ever purchased from Florida Hill Nursery before? I cannot find reviews on Dave's garden watchdog website.

FHN have a pretty good selection of stuff but lack of references from people have deterred me from ordering from FHN.

Thanks

Comments (61)

• buellracing01
    12 years ago

Hello Tonton101, We have just listed our site on Daves Garden please feel free to post feedback and we encourage everyone else to do the same. Shawn

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    12 years ago

Tonton:

I'd get rid of the northern highbush unless you reliably get 800 chilling hrs or more each winter. I started with six varieties each of northern and southern in 2004. I never got a crop off any of the six northern. The southern grew much better and leafed out much better in spring.

Jeff:

Thatever you get try a Sweetcrisp. It is very low in chilling needs and by far the best blueberry for eating IMO. All the others are mush compared to Sweetcrisp.

Shawn:

Have you tried Sweetcrisp? What do you think of it?

• milque_toast
    12 years ago

Thanks. Bought 4 plants.

• Tonton101
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Fruitnut,

Thanks for the info. You have confirmed my biggest fear...
    Damn Lowes for selling BB plants that will not even fruit. Good thing is they have great return policy. I will dig up the Elliott and Bluegold tomorrow and send them back to Lowes.

And spekaing of northern plants, is Legacy consider low chill or high chill? According to Fallcreek Nursery's chart it is high chill but I saw other places have Legacy listed under low chill.

I am going to order two Sweetcrisp (and see if it lives up to fruitnut's hype ;D ), a sharpblue, and going to try out Windsor.

I already have emerald, jewel, misty, southmoon, sharpblue (not satisfy with the plant I bought from local nusery so I am going to buy one from Shawn), 2 sunshine blue, legacy. The new plants I am going to get from FHN will complete my BB collection... for now at least.

• gonebananas_gw
    12 years ago

Looks interesting. When their Veinte Cohol banana is back in stock I will try that and another banana or two as a lark and several blueberries more seriously.

12 years ago

Tonton:

Nice BB collection. Please give a report when possible. I know I've been pushing people to try Sweetcrisp pretty hard. But it's that good IMO. I wish I owned the patent.

Legacy is one of those varieties that falls between northern and southern. I think it's worth a try in all but the lowest chill areas.

• Scott F Smith
    12 years ago

My blueberries from Florida Hill arrived today in excellent shape, well packaged and very healthy-looking leaves. They are a little smaller than I thought they would be but they are 5" tall which was how they were described. I hope I can nurse them up to size. One thing I learned from experience is to put a big stake right next to any small plant, to keep people from stepping on it.

Scott

• buellracing01
    12 years ago

Hello Gonebananas, I have a large planting of Veinte Cohol approaching sale size soon. They dont tend to stay around long so check back every week over the coarse of the next month so you dont miss out. Shawn

• buellracing01
    12 years ago

Hi Scott, thank you for your honest review, your feedback is appretiated. Shawn

• gonebananas_gw
    12 years ago

Excellent. Will do.

• buellracing01
    12 years ago

Hello Fruitnut, Your order will ship on Thurs. at the latest.

• Tonton101
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I received my plants from Florida Hill Nursery yesterday. Plants were very well packed and they looked good. It took exactly a week from the date I placed my order to receive the plants.

You can see how the plants were packed as well as how big the BB plants were in the photos below.

I planted my new BB plants in 40% peat moss, 40% potting soil, and 10% cocoa shell, and 10% perlite mix. Before mixing the 10 gallon potting mixture together I also added 1 cup of organic Azela fertilizer, about 1/2 cup of organic organic soil acidifier, and 1/4 cup of organic dried blood meal into the mix.

My new plants are happily residing in 3 gallon pots with cocoa shell mulch. I am going to continue to follow the fertilizer regime Fruitnut posted in this forum (it works wonder with my other BB plants) and hopefully these new plants will grow nice and tall.

{{gwi:118240}}

{{gwi:118241}}

Cheers.

• buellracing01
    12 years ago

Hello Tonton, Thanks for the picts. It cool to see the plants on your end once received... I think you will find that they take off quite fast. Thanks for the feedback. Come back and see us anytime... Shawn and Angela. Florida Hill

12 years ago

My 15 plants arrived in good shape today despite the mailman leaving them setting in 100F heat all afternoon. Usually plants arrive here UPS but these were USPS. I spotted them about 5 pm and just finished planting in 5 gal pots. They look very good. These are as good as any I've gotten mailorder and the cheapest.

I was a little apprehensive ordering during this heat wave. But those concerns were unfounded. I'll be well ahead of ordering this fall. And well on my way to more Sweetcrisp. I will easily be able to sell all of that variety I can grow at $10 per lb.

Thank you Shawn!!

• admin_floridahillnursery_com
    12 years ago

Hi Fruitnut, Im glad to hear the plants arrived safley. Thank You for the feedback and come back anytime... Happy Gardening from Shawn and Angela...

• Bamatufa
    11 years ago

Anyone order from them lately ? Their website rejected my online credit card order , although I tried several times. It gave me some unknown reason code for rejection and I cannot get them to return my emails. Are they still in business ?

• spazmatic
    11 years ago

Go to Bananas.org for some interesting reviews and arguments about/with FHN. Go with Wellspring if you can--they always treated me good.
    spaz

• bamboo_rabbit
    11 years ago

Bamatufa lucky you. I would not deal with FHN ever......

• Bamatufa
    11 years ago

Wow ! Funny ! Maybe they merged with TYTY.

• plantlover13
    10 years ago

say, arent nursery owners not allowed to advertise?

• gonebananas_gw
    10 years ago

A couple of weeks ago I got four banana plants from them and they were/are fine. They warned the plants are small but they were bigger than I expected and were nicely rooted.

I wanted a special variety and have to trust them on that for a year or so.

• User
    10 years ago

I ordered 4 blueberry plants from Florida Hill and shipping was the same single rate for up to 4 plants--and by far the most reasonable shipping charge I have seen anywhere! The plants were also most reasonably priced. They arrived two days after shipping USPS Priority Shipping and were packed exceptionally well (see above photos from Tonton101.) The plants while small, are extremely healthy and show no stress from being shipped. I am delighted with the products and service from Florida Hill and will certainly order again.

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Nice catch Bamboo! Wow, a new low for a nursery....

• plantlover13
    10 years ago

Please let this not be the banana forum all over again. I really like FHN and their products,but this is getting ridiculous.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

I don't like them.It is true though,FHN is ridiculous,when they can't get numerous people's orders correct.
    And any FHN staff that are snooping around here,the Blueberry plants I received were not Sweetcrisp and I had to wait over a year to find that out. Brady

• RobThomas
    10 years ago

Is this company still in business? Their website is just a blank white page.

I had recently read the bananasdotorg thread, and then this thread just now. Some pretty surprising behavior.

Anyway, scottsmith and fruitnut, did the plants you received from FHN turn out to be the correct varieties?

10 years ago

Nothing I got from FHN was correct. Messed up my operation as I now have about 20 unknown potted blueberries.

• plantlover13
    10 years ago

I have the same problem, blank page. What's up?

10 years ago

They've probably gotten what they deserve and gone broke.

• JoppaRich
    10 years ago

I've ordered from them twice.

Small plants, but very cheap, so I'm okay with that. Always seem to get what I pay for. Shipping is quick and cheap.

• sdelafuente
    10 years ago

I ordered a banana plant from them back in May. It was fast and cheap. It arrived small and green with yellowing but it started dying as soon as I planted it. I emailed them, I did receive an email but they were blaming me for the dying plant. No refund nor support. Never again buying from them.

• gonebananas_gw
    10 years ago

I knew that I was ordering from a tissue-culture propagator and I know what a "liner" plant is in the trade (small, but big enough to be reasonably "tough" for planting into nursery lines or pots, or--but only with special care--into permanent sites).

Part of peoples' disappointment with the smallness of plants may result from misunderstanding. I thought the ones I received were bigger and better developed than the minimum I would have reasonably accepted. And I know I got the right grapes at least, by their distinctive leaf shape ("Southern Home"). I will buy more.

• plantlover13
    10 years ago

The page is working again. I don't think they deserve to go broke, really, but i do think some business practices need to change. I got decent sized plants and they are growing nicely now, so i have no real reason to complain exept for questionable business ethics.

• iammarcus
    10 years ago

I stopped buying from them when my sweetcrisp lived just long enough to infect the rest of my blueberries two years ago. I lost a number of varieties that I am still working to replace.

• Ernie
    10 years ago

What was the pathogen?

• chrimari
    7 years ago

Frustrating, no customer service, dead plants, might as well give your money away. Was ripped off. Ordered over $70 of plant material, received 4" plants with over half of them dead. Returned within 30 days the dead plants with original invoice and clearly marked plants. After over two months, no refund and after sending numerous emails (they have no phone number listed) they want the postal receipt. What a scam, so if you want to give away your money, go ahead. That has been my experience, what a fool I was to deal with this frustrating company. Wish I had read the reviews before doing business with Florida Hill Scammers.

• speedster1
    7 years ago

I bought 4 figs from them last year that were tissue culture plants. When they arrived they all had fig leaf rust and dropped all of their leaves. They did bounce back and are growing fine now. They have not produced any figs yet so I can't say for sure that the varieties they sent are accurate. Based on leaf style though I think they are.

After receiving the rusted plants I contacted them and they credited me for one of the plants and told me if the plants don't survive to contact them for replacements.

• Rebecca Shearer
    7 years ago

I purchased from them and have been regretting it ever since. Worst customer service I have ever seen. Buyer beware! I tried emailing them multiple times as they don't use a phone. When they finally responded they were rude and belittled me asking if I was on medication because i left negative comnents on their fb page saying my plant was dying and no one would contact me about it. Much more bullying ensued in emails that I have documented. They even stole, yes stole, my intellectual property that I emailed them to prove my plant was dying. They posted it on their fb page trying to demean me and publicly bully me. I have also taken photos of that to document it. They dwlete all of their negative reviews too so that no one knows how horrible of a business they are. It makes ne sick. So if anyone is interested in that material, I will gladly provide it to you. Please don't make my mistake and buy anything from them. It's not worth it.

• chrimari
    7 years ago

The latest on Florida Hill Nursery is I sent a copy of my postal receipt with the date proving I returned my plants within 30 day. Am now receiving threats that Florida Hill Nursery is going to sue me for liable because I posted negative comments about my very real and honest experience dealing with them. As another woman posted, Florida Hill resorts to bullying instead of taking responsibility for poor business practices. With all documentation have not been refunded for dead and diseased plants. Buyer beware dead, diseased plants and bullying especially if you are a woman.

• chrimari
    7 years ago

Anyone know how I can report this Company for dishonest and threatening business practices?

• Rebecca Shearer
    7 years ago

They will not be able to win the case if they do chose to sue you for liable as long as what you posted and is true. If they see it is their responsibility to prove that what you wrote is untrue. Document their interactions with you and keep your own evidence of their bullying if you need help in that matter I can help because I have my own posts and bullying from them. You can and should continue to post negative comments on their facebook twitter instagram pages as long as it is true. I would do so as well but they have blocked and deleted my comments. So I now write statuses with them tagged in it hoping to warn people of them.

• Rebecca Shearer
    7 years ago

If they sue* it is their responsibility to prove what you said is false

• Rebecca Shearer
    7 years ago

Also if you paid with a credit card simply call them and dispute the claim. They will refund you and fight with florida hill nursery to get the money back. That way you don't need to continue to be bullied or harassed. Hope this helps.

• Austin Smith
    7 years ago

i bought dragonfruit american beauty got first fruit last year excited to see what they do this year now that they are more established gonna order more now

• garyz8bpnw
    7 years ago

Just got in an Abyssinian Red Banana (Ensete ventricosum 'Maurelii') from them. Packed safely in nice shape. Can see it growing already. Their shipping costs are less than from my other sources and big shipping discounts for multiple plant orders.

• lindalorraine
    6 years ago

I have been emailing Floridahill nursery for about two weeks about the dead plant I received. I have not gotten a response. I have sent at least three emails and I have filled out their contact form twice. Nothing, zero, zip. I guess I am one those people that paid $25 dollars for one little start and a cooked one. Nice. So much for the good reviews.

• Amalia Guégan
    5 years ago

I PLACED AN ORDER FOR 3 PLANTS IN EARLY SUMMER, AND THEY NEVER SENT ME MY PLANTS. THEY ROBBED ME OF 50$+ I tried to call them, but they don't have a phone number listed! I looked for their actual address, but they only have a PO BOX! I emailed multiple times, and they never replied once!!!!!!!!! THESE PEOPLE ARE THIEVES, APPARENTLY THIS HAS HAPPENED TO MULTIPLE CUSTOMERS SINCE 2017 IF YOU LOOK THROUGH VARIOUS FORUMS. DO NOT BUY FROM THESE THIEVES.

• Debra Martin
    3 years ago

DO NOT buy from these people. I was looking for something I could not find anywhere else and these people had it, but the quality is ridiculously poor and the service is even worse. Go elsewhere and don't make my mistake.

• B. Dan Wood
    last year

DO NOT BUY FROM FLORIDA HILL NURSERY. I ordered 10 blackberry plants from them, 8 of which arrived virtually dead. Their refund policy on their website says, and I quote "Sometimes plants don’t survive and we here at Florida Hill Nursery understand that. If within a 30-day time period from the point of delivery your plants don’t survive use our contact form to get in touch with us*.For a full refund return the plants to the address listed below. Once the plants have been shipped back to us simply use our contact form to send us the delivery confirmation. Return the plants to:FHN Refund Department
    P.O. Box 530318
    Debary, FL 32753
    * "

I tried contacting them multiple timess via their contact page, email, and phone. They are completely unresponsive.

A very bad experience, and loss of about $70.00.