Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any Experience with Florida Hill Nursery?

Posted by Tonton101 CA 8B (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 8, 11 at 23:38

Anyone ever purchased from Florida Hill Nursery before? I cannot find reviews on Dave's garden watchdog website.

FHN have a pretty good selection of stuff but lack of references from people have deterred me from ordering from FHN.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any Experience with Florida Hill Nursery?

Tonton:

I believe Hoosierquilt got some blueberries from them via Ebay. I went on their website and ordered 10 blueberry plants. I never got a reply. That put me off and I'm going to wait until fall to get the plants from someone I trust and have bought from before.

o

I did. I ordered a couple of Sweet Crisp and an Emerald. The plants were small, but really healthy. They were very nice, and they shipped them very swiftly. They have a rather ingenious was of shipping - taping the little plants to a piece of cardboard, and very well wrapped and filled with peanuts, so they arrived all the way to S. California in perfect condition. I was pretty impressed with how they packaged the plants, actually.

Patty S.

o

Hello hoosierquilt, Thank you for your feedback we work real hard at getting quality plants to our customers at a great price in a timely fashion and appreciate honest feedback from experienced gardeners. We are just as picky who we sell to as people are to purchase from. We prefer not to send our plants off to certain death with inexperienced growers and will decline sales to people with limited gardening abilities and Its a philosophy that keeps costs low and buyers happy. Thank you for your business and come back anytime.

Thank you,
Shawn
owner operator of Floridahillnursery.com

o

I should be getting an order from them any day now, the just shipped notice came three days ago. They were the only place I could find these Sweetcrisp and I want to give them a try after your report, fruitnut. They were ordered through the website, it worked for me. I'll try to follow up here with comments on the plants.

Scott

o

Hello Fruitnut, I just realized my email server was maxed out to the extent that I was unable to receive emails. I have increased my email storage ability and can now receive emails. We have grown so fast over the passed 2 years that we have surpassed our original expectations and subsequently the framework. If there is anything you need just ask.

Shawn@Floridahillnursery.com

o

• Posted by fruitnut Z7_4500ft elev SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 9, 11 at 12:09

Thank you Shawn. I've sent you an Email.

o

Alright, since the owner of Florida Hill Nursery is posting in the forum I will order from FHN.
Once I receive my order I will post my experience with FHN!

o

Thu, Jun 9, 11 at 22:07

FHN seems to be the only place with Sweetcrisp in stock right now. I ordered 10 of them and 5 Emerald today. Also ate the last of the Sweetcrisp with a few friends. They were as impressed with that variety as I am. So I already have buyers for Sweetcrisp plants as soon as I get them established in 5 gallons of good media.

o

Fruitnut, do you have any northern highbush plants? I have two northern highbush plants (bluegold and elliott) and I am in Zone 8. I wondering if these will have enough chill time for the fruits to set.

I am seriously debating whether or not to get rid of these two plants and replace them with southern highbush plants.

o

Hi Shawn,
what varieties of blueberries would you recommend for me?
So far I've got O'neal & Misty. Have space for 4-5 more bushes.
Conditions: hot dry summer with cool nights, low chill requirements in winter.

TIA,
Jeff

o

Hello Jeff, Misty is a recommended pollinator for Sharpblue so I would suggest at least one or two Sharpblue and the Windsor strain has produced wonderfully in my personal garden. University of Florida has a top notch blueberry breeding program that leads the nation. Here is a link.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs215

(U OF F);
Windsor is vigorous, with stout stems and a semi-spreading growth habit. Windsor leafs out strongly as it begins to flower, and this strong leafing enables it to support a large crop. Berries are normally ripe by April 28. Windsor berries are very large. Berries from the first half of the harvest average about 2.4 grams on young vigorous plants. The berries are about the same color as those of Sharpblue and Star. It has good firmness and flavor. Although Windsor grows and fruits well, it has lost favor among growers because of the deep picking scar which complicates packing and reduces post-harvest life.

When growere dont utilize a variety because it doesnt pack well that usually means its a top knotch fresh eating variety.

o
tonton101

Hello Tonton101, We have just listed our site on Daves Garden please feel free to post feedback and we encourage everyone else to do the same. Shawn

o

Fri, Jun 10, 11 at 8:08

Tonton:

I'd get rid of the northern highbush unless you reliably get 800 chilling hrs or more each winter. I started with six varieties each of northern and southern in 2004. I never got a crop off any of the six northern. The southern grew much better and leafed out much better in spring.

Jeff:

Thatever you get try a Sweetcrisp. It is very low in chilling needs and by far the best blueberry for eating IMO. All the others are mush compared to Sweetcrisp.

Shawn:

Have you tried Sweetcrisp? What do you think of it?

o

Thanks. Bought 4 plants.

o

Fruitnut,

Thanks for the info. You have confirmed my biggest fear...
Damn Lowes for selling BB plants that will not even fruit. Good thing is they have great return policy. I will dig up the Elliott and Bluegold tomorrow and send them back to Lowes.

And spekaing of northern plants, is Legacy consider low chill or high chill? According to Fallcreek Nursery's chart it is high chill but I saw other places have Legacy listed under low chill.

I am going to order two Sweetcrisp (and see if it lives up to fruitnut's hype ;D ), a sharpblue, and going to try out Windsor.

I already have emerald, jewel, misty, southmoon, sharpblue (not satisfy with the plant I bought from local nusery so I am going to buy one from Shawn), 2 sunshine blue, legacy. The new plants I am going to get from FHN will complete my BB collection... for now at least.

o

Looks interesting. When their Veinte Cohol banana is back in stock I will try that and another banana or two as a lark and several blueberries more seriously.

o

Tonton:

Nice BB collection. Please give a report when possible. I know I've been pushing people to try Sweetcrisp pretty hard. But it's that good IMO. I wish I owned the patent.

Legacy is one of those varieties that falls between northern and southern. I think it's worth a try in all but the lowest chill areas.

o

My blueberries from Florida Hill arrived today in excellent shape, well packaged and very healthy-looking leaves. They are a little smaller than I thought they would be but they are 5" tall which was how they were described. I hope I can nurse them up to size. One thing I learned from experience is to put a big stake right next to any small plant, to keep people from stepping on it.

Scott

o

Hello Gonebananas, I have a large planting of Veinte Cohol approaching sale size soon. They dont tend to stay around long so check back every week over the coarse of the next month so you dont miss out. Shawn

o
Floridahillnursery.com

Hi Scott, thank you for your honest review, your feedback is appretiated. Shawn

o

Excellent. Will do.

o
Florida Hill Nursery?

Hello Fruitnut, Your order will ship on Thurs. at the latest.

o

I received my plants from Florida Hill Nursery yesterday. Plants were very well packed and they looked good. It took exactly a week from the date I placed my order to receive the plants.

You can see how the plants were packed as well as how big the BB plants were in the photos below.

I planted my new BB plants in 40% peat moss, 40% potting soil, and 10% cocoa shell, and 10% perlite mix. Before mixing the 10 gallon potting mixture together I also added 1 cup of organic Azela fertilizer, about 1/2 cup of organic organic soil acidifier, and 1/4 cup of organic dried blood meal into the mix.

My new plants are happily residing in 3 gallon pots with cocoa shell mulch. I am going to continue to follow the fertilizer regime Fruitnut posted in this forum (it works wonder with my other BB plants) and hopefully these new plants will grow nice and tall.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Cheers.

o
FloridaHillNursery.com

Hello Tonton, Thanks for the picts. It cool to see the plants on your end once received... I think you will find that they take off quite fast. Thanks for the feedback. Come back and see us anytime... Shawn and Angela. Florida Hill

o

Mon, Jun 20, 11 at 19:51

My 15 plants arrived in good shape today despite the mailman leaving them setting in 100F heat all afternoon. Usually plants arrive here UPS but these were USPS. I spotted them about 5 pm and just finished planting in 5 gal pots. They look very good. These are as good as any I've gotten mailorder and the cheapest.

I was a little apprehensive ordering during this heat wave. But those concerns were unfounded. I'll be well ahead of ordering this fall. And well on my way to more Sweetcrisp. I will easily be able to sell all of that variety I can grow at $10 per lb.

Thank you Shawn!!

o
Floridahillnursery.com

Hi Fruitnut, Im glad to hear the plants arrived safley. Thank You for the feedback and come back anytime... Happy Gardening from Shawn and Angela...

o

Anyone order from them lately ? Their website rejected my online credit card order , although I tried several times. It gave me some unknown reason code for rejection and I cannot get them to return my emails. Are they still in business ?

o

Go to Bananas.org for some interesting reviews and arguments about/with FHN. Go with Wellspring if you can--they always treated me good.
spaz

o

Bamatufa lucky you. I would not deal with FHN ever......

o

Wow ! Funny ! Maybe they merged with TYTY.

o

say, arent nursery owners not allowed to advertise?

o

A couple of weeks ago I got four banana plants from them and they were/are fine. They warned the plants are small but they were bigger than I expected and were nicely rooted.

I wanted a special variety and have to trust them on that for a year or so.

o

I ordered 4 blueberry plants from Florida Hill and shipping was the same single rate for up to 4 plants--and by far the most reasonable shipping charge I have seen anywhere! The plants were also most reasonably priced. They arrived two days after shipping USPS Priority Shipping and were packed exceptionally well (see above photos from Tonton101.) The plants while small, are extremely healthy and show no stress from being shipped. I am delighted with the products and service from Florida Hill and will certainly order again.

o

MarionM112 Just registered TODAY and posts this.....seems like Florida Hill is trying to recruit new customers to rip off......sad sad sad.

o

Nice catch Bamboo! Wow, a new low for a nursery....

o

Please let this not be the banana forum all over again. I really like FHN and their products,but this is getting ridiculous.

o

I don't like them.It is true though,FHN is ridiculous,when they can't get numerous people's orders correct.
And any FHN staff that are snooping around here,the Blueberry plants I received were not Sweetcrisp and I had to wait over a year to find that out. Brady

o

Is this company still in business? Their website is just a blank white page.

I had recently read the bananasdotorg thread, and then this thread just now. Some pretty surprising behavior.

Anyway, scottsmith and fruitnut, did the plants you received from FHN turn out to be the correct varieties?

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 14:56

Nothing I got from FHN was correct. Messed up my operation as I now have about 20 unknown potted blueberries.

o

I have the same problem, blank page. What's up?

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 20:32

They've probably gotten what they deserve and gone broke.

o

I've ordered from them twice.

Small plants, but very cheap, so I'm okay with that. Always seem to get what I pay for. Shipping is quick and cheap.

o

I ordered a banana plant from them back in May. It was fast and cheap. It arrived small and green with yellowing but it started dying as soon as I planted it. I emailed them, I did receive an email but they were blaming me for the dying plant. No refund nor support. Never again buying from them.

o

I knew that I was ordering from a tissue-culture propagator and I know what a "liner" plant is in the trade (small, but big enough to be reasonably "tough" for planting into nursery lines or pots, or--but only with special care--into permanent sites).

Part of peoples' disappointment with the smallness of plants may result from misunderstanding. I thought the ones I received were bigger and better developed than the minimum I would have reasonably accepted. And I know I got the right grapes at least, by their distinctive leaf shape ("Southern Home"). I will buy more.

o

The page is working again. I don't think they deserve to go broke, really, but i do think some business practices need to change. I got decent sized plants and they are growing nicely now, so i have no real reason to complain exept for questionable business ethics.

o

I stopped buying from them when my sweetcrisp lived just long enough to infect the rest of my blueberries two years ago. I lost a number of varieties that I am still working to replace.

o

What was the pathogen?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here