Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hail Damaged Apricot Tree

Posted by kayakita z8TX (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 23:41

Hi,
One of my two six year old apricot trees is having problems. Last spring, just as my large, healthy apricot tree was beginning to bloom, we had a severe hailstorm which thrashed off most of the blossoms AND leaves from a main central branch with several; extending minor branches damaged as well. I noted the bare branches in the center of the tree with dismay (It's always beautiful and full of foliage all summer) but later... when I was able to harvest about three dozen apricots, decided next year would be better when the leaves and fruit reappeared and stopped worrying. However....today I noticed a large branch (one of the minor branches that had escaped injury and had been full of green leaves) was now full of dead, dried up leaves. What can I do? Is this a fruit tree disease or further hail damage? Should I amputate the entire large central branch including extending branches or just wait until next spring to see what happens? The tree has been quite healthy. since it was planted. We have always had a bumper crop of fruit (a bushel or more) every summer. I see no signs of insect damage.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hail Damaged Apricot Tree

Apricot are prone to die back and whenever I see a limb dying I take it off, all of it, now not later. Al

o

I agree with Al that you should remove any dead or dying limbs. As to the cause, it is almost certainly the hail, either directly or indirectly. No tree likes having its bark riddled with holes, and this weakens the tree and leaves the door open to disease as well.

I had the same thing last year, but in August, which I think was worse because the plants tried putting out new growth like it was spring, only to be hit down again with the first hard freeze in the fall.

Long story short, I did lose one of my three apricot trees, a 4-year-old volunteer from seed that was very vigorous and had already produced some fruit. Slower growing trees I think handle these things better.

Good luck

o

Thanks for the helpful advice Al and Fabaceae. Sorry for the delay in answering. Wanted to take and send a photo to illustrate condition of my tree. Didn't realize the thread moved so fast or I certainly would have posted sooner. I almost didn't find it. LOL

o

Here's a photo of my poor tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here