Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franktank232

Fruit update...some pictures

franktank232
10 years ago

Just thought i'd give a June 15 update on mostly stonefruit...this isn't everything... Finally feels like summer here the past 10 days or so.

Flavor Queen
{{gwi:118298}}

Flavor King
{{gwi:118299}}

Flavor Grenade
{{gwi:118300}}

Emerald Drop
{{gwi:118301}}

Geo Pride
{{gwi:118302}}

Dapple Dandy
{{gwi:118303}}

Puget Gold
{{gwi:118304}}

Alderman
{{gwi:118305}}

Supeior
{{gwi:118306}}

Hunza
{{gwi:118307}}

TangOs
{{gwi:118308}}

Saturn
{{gwi:118309}}

Harrow Sweet
{{gwi:118310}}

This post was edited by franktank232 on Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 20:27

Comments (14)

• ltilton
    10 years ago

[sigh] PC-free fruit! They all look gorgeous!

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Nice clean fruits!

• franktank232
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks... I've just used Permethrin so far on the stonefruit and its kept them super clean. I've yet to see a hit on one of my hybrid plums, with the Alderman being the tree they love most. So the spray has been very effective. That being said, the apples have been hit hard and need to be thinned (I sprayed them late...waited too long).

Hopefully we stay dry now so the fruit can really start to size up and take on some color.

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Frank, they are beautiful. and healthy! Will you net the trees?

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    10 years ago

That is beautiful fruit and very nice pictures. My only suggestion is to thin the pluots again. Those babies get a lot bigger than you think and on my trees that's still about twice too much fruit.

The third picture from top is Flavor Grenade not Emerald Drop. They have that grenade shape early on.

• matt_ohio
    10 years ago

What permethrin products are you all using?

• ericwi
    10 years ago

Nice to see the sun again!

• franktank232
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I probably won't net...

Fruit-
    Yeah..it was dark when i was going through those pics and i thought i had most of them figured out... I knew you would say something about thinning! I've been brutal on the 'cots, but haven't touched the pluots...yet. I've been watching all the Dave Wilson Utube videos and thinning is something that they hit hard on.

I'm using some Ortho Lawn and Garden Insect Killer...32oz concentrate...2oz/gallon... Not even sure its made anymore.

Sun is awesome..84F and sunny this afternoon...pool was packed and dads got in free!

• ahgrower Horne
    10 years ago

Your fruits are very beautiful. Please send more pics as they grow if you remember. I live in Georgia and I do have 2 pluot trees although I am told that they don't do well here. I have a flavor supreme and a 4-n-1 combo which is FG, FK, DD, and FS. When will the FS ripen because I am ready to go to the farmers market and buy up a bunch! LOL. As I continue on with the 2 pluot trees, I will upload pics as well if they do okay.On the FS, the 4 flowers fell off due to an early freeze this year. It is right next to a Santa Rosa tree so I would have hand pollinated it had the weather not intervened. If the 2 trees dont do well here, I will ship them off to friends in California. Anyway, keep up the good work.

• ahgrower Horne
    10 years ago

Sorry guys, I entered the wrong zone for where I am located. I am in metro atlanta, ga which on the map is listed as zone 8a although neighbors tell me we are in zone7b. I think I will go with zone 8a because I know I don't live in Texas otherwise I would try to find out where Fruitnut lives so I can glean info from him! LOL. You guys are awesome in knowledge. I read up on all my fruit trees online and I am learning from experience as well.

• franktank232
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah...i'll do another update probably around mid July if everything is coloring up by then. I updated the above to fix the Emerald Drop/Flavor Grenade...

I'm already seeing some that I've started pulling off (some just stop growing and start to turn yellow)...so i've thinned a few out now.

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Frank your photograph of the 'Saturn' peach is a riot. Do you have rot problems with them, that has been discussed a little in this forum? My plums are showing signs of 'cat-facing' and yours have none. Mrs. G

• northernmn
    10 years ago

Great pictures Frank !

You and Conrad should publish a book full of fruit plant pictures.

• franktank232
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MrsG-

Last year I lost the fruit that developed to some insect early on... This is the first year with a lot of fruit. I know i've read of the rot problems and i'm going to do what i can to keep the fruit dry...we'll see. No cat facing...yet...

Northern-

We'll see if i can get them to stay clean and color up and then i'll think about that book! I got a new camera over the winter and it really works great for macro work.