Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My healthy strawberry plot

Posted by Itheweatherman USDA 8b, Elevation 2 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 23:55

After many years of trial and error, I was finally able to grow a healthy plot of strawberry plants---"they set a good crop this year. I found out that the best method to grow healthy strawberries is to plant them in a wooden pot with good planting soil-Miracle gro moisture control, and with a pack of Mycorizael fungi.
So far I haven’t had any problems with pests or with the weather--these two varieties have adapted very well to the High Desert’s harsh environment: Summer temperatures can reach as high as 112dF and as low as 12dF in winter. The varieties that I have are: Shuksan (Raintree nursery) and an unknown variety.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My healthy strawberry plot

Here's my small vegie garden.

o

a Closer view.

o

My artichoke.

o

Out of curiosity, where are you that you are in high desert?

Strawberries are my favorite thing to grow. Did you start yours from seed or bare root or baby plants?

I just tore out 2 of my 3 artichoke plants. I might try again next year but the amount of space they took up for such a small vegetable at the end wasn't worth the space. Mine were two years old and the artichokes were about the size of a kids fist. The third one has an artichoke on it that's even smaller. I thought I'd let it flower so I could see what it would look like. Did you get any to eat yet?

o

"Out of curiosity, where are you that you are in high desert?"

Adelanto,Ca.

I started them as bare roots--a free bonus from Raintree Nursery; I bought my artichoke, tomato, Bell pepper, and my tomatillo plants from Home depot.

Not yet. I'll be harvesting my artichoke in two weeks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here