Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refractometer Club!

Posted by tmunson 9a (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 23:59

I just got a refractometer, and my goodness is this thing fun. My first peaches and nectarines aren't quite ripe, so my first two tests came out at 16.0 and 16.7. Having a blast, what a great investment. Gardenaholic?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refractometer Club!

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 10:35

For $40 it's a great aid in learning how to grow high quality fruit. This is especially true for people wanting really sweet fruit, esp stone fruit. It will tell you if you're watering too much or too little.

Even vegetable growers are catching on and trying for nutrient dense veggies.

o

I cannot wait to use mine! I will finally be able to pick fruit at the right time! Love it! Mrs. G

o

Fruitnut, you were my inspiration. I had a refractometer for measuring salinity in my reef tank, and decided I needed one for my fruit!

o

It'd be useful in telling when to pick pears, I suppose.

o

I bought the el cheapo one off of ebay last year. It works great. Even my wife was happy I bought it....that's rare!

o

Sweet tea can have a reading as high as 22 brix, which is twice as much as coca-cola. With brix that high it must be very nutrient dense and extremely healthy to consume.

o

Just picked my Arctic Jay nectarines; 21.4% brix on the first one! Almost too sweet for my liking... I like my stone fruit tart. Still loving my refractometer!

o

"Just picked my Arctic Jay nectarines; 21.4% brix on the first one! Almost too sweet for my liking... I like my stone fruit tart. Still loving my refractometer!"

Jay is supposed to have an acid kick, so it should be good! I have Arctic Glo, which has even more kick. If you like the tart, you would probably like Glo too! I'm thinking it will be great for cooking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here