Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberry Plants Pics

Posted by blueboy1977 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 0:13

Well since were alittle over half way through the growing season now I figured its a good time post some updated blueberry pics. Here in Houston its been a very wet spring and summer to date. Complete opposite of last summer when we were experinceing drought conditions like our neighbors up north. Ive expanded my collection of varieties quite a bit and Im really excited about tasting all the different varieties next year.

16 plants here from FHN. All Southern High Bush. Pics are right after planting in April. Varieties are Primadonna, Jewel, Emerald, Abundance, Scintilla, Sharpblue, Sunshine Blue, Spring High, Windsor, Gulfcoast, Misty, Snow Chaser
4/24/12

Same plants as of yesterday
7/19/12 SHB Varieties, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Austin Rabbiteye
7/19/12 Austin, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Alapaha Rabbiteye
7/19/12 Alapaha, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Bluegem Rabbiteye
7/19/12 Blue Gem, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Beckyblue Rabbiteye. Prunned hard after fruiting
7/19/12 Becky Blue, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Brightwell Rabbiteye. Prunned hard after fruiting
7/19/12 Brightwell, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Woodard Rabbiteye. Prunned hard aswell
7/19/12 Woodard, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Emerald SHB
7/19/12 Emerald, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
7/19/12 Emerald, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Southmoon SHB
7/19/12 Southmoon, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Bountiful Blue SHB
7/19/12 Bountiful Blue, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Windsor SHB
7/19/12 Windsor, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Sunshine Blue SHB
7/19/12 Sunshine Blue, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Gulfcoast SHB
7/19/12 Gulfcoast, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Sweetcrisp SHB
7/19/12 Sweetcrisp, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
7/19/12 Sweetcrisp, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

FHN Uknown Variety
7/19/12 FHN Unknown, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Tupi and Kiowa Black berries
7/19/12 Tupi Black Berry, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
7/19/12 Kiowa Black Berry, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Thats all I got man! Lets see some more pics!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberry Plants Pics

Blueboy, thanks for the pix, I am impressed, the potted plants really changed a lot in 3 months. Motivates me to give mine more attention to get more growth out of them.

Benny

o

Great pictures thanks for posting!

o

Beautiful, healthy plants!! They look fantastic!

Have you thought about clipping clipping the longer branches back? I cut a wheelbarrow full of lanky limbs off of mine the other day........the plants recover quickly this time of year and are much better prepared for berries next spring. The hot weather really takes a toll on the plants, some of the leavs on my plants have a slight sunburn on them.

RM

o

Yeah, they really look great? Nice going. I could take a lesson from your pruning. I've got 5, 2nd year plants in containers. They are growing well, but all over the place. I'll probably post some pictures soon looking for pruning suggestions. Again...well done!

o

They look great! You might want to use turnbuckles on your blackberry wires to make them more taught.

o

Thanks for the replies! RM, I have been tipping a lot and cut back all the plants after they fruited. The smaller emerald and one of the sweet crisp need to trimmed back a little. I will probably do that tonight. Emeralds branches are thick enough that the probably don't need it but some of them make it hard to water with out getting it on the leafs.

The black berries need a dead man on both ends of the trellis. The 4x4 posts on the ends are leaning a little too far and every time I tighten the wires they pull in more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here