Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abz5b

Raspberries

abz5b
11 years ago

Looking for new everbearing variety to replace my 10 Caroline. Find them a little generic tasting. Ive seen reports that both Polka and Autumn Britten have a good raspberry flavor. My Annes are great, Heritage is good. Have a 10-15 foot space that needs something new lol.

Comments (6)

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

Oh Dear! I just planted a row of eight Caroline raspberries. After reading the raves in this forum I thought it would be a great idea. I have 'Red' growing which are 'nice' and tangy and huge. They are great for fresh eating or baking.

• abz5b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah there is nothing wrong with the Carolines other than the Generic berry taste. They are disease resistant, resistant to root rot and very vigorous. I just like a little more tarter raspberry flavor. Course I could be spoiled after eating the Boysenberries lol. My heritage are about to start producing so I might reevaluate after that.

• tedgrowsit
    11 years ago

I really enjoy my Prelude berries. Ted

• myk1
    11 years ago

"Oh Dear! I just planted a row of eight Caroline raspberries. After reading the raves in this forum I thought it would be a great idea."

I also planted them on the rave reviews of the forum. Those reviews obviously ignored what I asked for, a berry with no tart and tons of raspberry flavor.
    I also think they are a generic tart berry taste with very little raspberry flavor. They're not bad but when I make them into wine the yeast is going to strip out the natural sugars and leave me with nothing but a lot of tart.

They do produce a lot of nice berries.
    The only place I see where you messed up was planting 8. They spread much better than my Heritage do. I could've turned my 3 into 8 the first season.

For the OP,
    I can't speak from experience but I was recommended to try Himbo Top for a lot of raspberry and little to no tart. I just built a new bed and won't get them planted until fall or spring.
    I'm keeping the Caroline for jelly where there's enough sugar to balance the tart.

• northernmn
    11 years ago

I currently have a 52 ft row of Autumn Britten (one of your potential choices)and I'm not very impressed with it. It is a large berry, and productive, but doesn't have a very intense raspberry flavor. They pull off the plant kind of hard, even when full ripe, and some of the berries have an "off" flavor. As a side note, double berries are fairly common with this variety. They spread very easily so you don't need to buy a lot of them.

My other 52 ft row is Boyne, a floricane, that has a much better flavor. Berries are smaller than the AB though.

• abz5b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Let's try another tac. Please list your favorite variety of raspberry that you currently grow or have a close knowledge of. Looking for something with a real red raspberry taste to it. Caroline although good just didn't have that.