Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would shade cloth deter japanese beetles?

Posted by lsoh 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 0:23

Once again this year, japanese beetles are devastating my fruit. I've applied grub killer to the lawn. I've sprayed trees with sevin, skipping those that are currently fruiting, and I manually chase after them at least twice a day. Last year they took every last leaf off my cherry tree. This year, to my surprise, they are eating my blueberries. Not just the leaves, they are hanging out on the berry clusters and chowing down. (I thought I was having some sort of cherry like cracking problem until today when the blueberry clusters were dark with hords of japanese beetles.)

If I wrapped the plants with shade cloth, would that deter the beetles, or just give them a place to hide?

If I did apply shade cloth, how would that impact the sweetness of whatever blueberries are left?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would shade cloth deter japanese beetles?

Tulle is good for this and it doesn't overshade the plants.

o

I have tulle on my baby cherry trees right now, the june beetles were eating them to death. Get all the beetles off first and wrap so there is no entry point at all. If you can't totally wrap its probably not worth it.

Scott

o

Well, yes, if you do it right, any physical barrier with a fine enough mesh will keep them out. You would need to make sure that whatever system you rig up doesn't have large gaps or holes where they could get through.

o

Long as you wrap them up completely it will work.

I recommend screen door mesh from your local hardware store, its *MUCH* cheaper, and does just as good of a job.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here