Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where can you buy a UF Beauty Peach tree in central Florida

Posted by Gator66 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 0:32

I am looking to buy a UF Beauty Peach tree in the Orlando Area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where can you buy a UF Beauty Peach tree in central Florida

Bad time of the year to find them.

o

When is a
good time? Where?

o

Gator,

Here in Florida February through April is the best time to find them. It is the best time to plant them as well. Planting a new peach in July is just tough on the tree.....in February they leaf out under cool conditions and get themselves off to a good start. I am a firm believer that plants that roar from the start continue to do so and those that struggle from the start tend to continue to struggle.

I have 3 UF beauty (8 peach trees total) and man do those things GROW. They went from just a 2 foot tall stick 17 months ago to now pushing a 20' across canopy.

Far as where I don't know spots in Orlando. You can look on Craigs list? I see them listed there normally bareroot tress and in my opinion bareroot or just recently potted is what you want. Don't amend the soil in the planting hole just straight in to the native sand then mulch the heck out of it. I mulched those sticks with a 10 foot diameter of mulch on day 1 and it was 10" thick. It really helps on our sand.

If you want to take a bit of a drive I picked up my 8 trees at Bluestar nursery in Hawthorne they are awesome. $12 a tree and they have several hundred peach trees in stock. I think they start selling them March 1? They are also a pretty big blueberry nursery if you are interested and have about 30 varieties on hand and probably 10,000++ bushes available for sale.

Here is a picture of a couple of my 17 month old UF Beauty's, this morning. you picked a good variety.

photo peach_zps0381870c.jpg

o

Sorry about not thanking you earlier, you provided me a wealth of information. I will give Bluestar Nursery a try as I am up in Gainesville often. I had been looking at potted plants but I think I will take your advice and buy bare root.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here