Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's going on with cherry leaves?

Posted by iamzvonko 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 0:32

We had a couple of hours of really heavy rain after a month with no rain and incredibly hot weather. A few hours after the rain, I noticed this on the leaves of one of my young (just planted about 3 weeks ago) cherry trees.

Anyone have any ideas what it is and whether it's something to be concerned about?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's going on with cherry leaves?

Looks like powdery mildew. THis happened to a few things in june due to the same reasons as down there. You can use a fungicide, or use an organic spray, which turns the leaf surface alkaline, in which the fungus usually cant go in.

IT can also be a sign of bad airflow. This usually happens in plants that are too close together, and or not trimmed properlly. Yes, it happens after you get a hard rain, in which it stays damp for a few days. Certain plants seem to get it all the time, like caregana and lilac.

o

I would prefer NOT to spray with any chemicals. So I'm going to wait a few days and see if it goes away. It's weird that it only happened on that one tree and only on some of the leaves.

Your comment about airflow made me think but then I realized that this was on the top leaves, not the ones closer to the trunk where things are a bit cramped

Thanks

o

Had this problem last year as well on my cherry leaves this year i sprayed with spetracide 3 in 1 insecticide/fungus fighter. Have sprayed 2 times this year and I have zero problems this year and tree is in great shape.

o

Thanks. It hasn't gone away but it hasn't gotten worse. I'll keep monitoring it. At least it's nice to know that it worked out OK for someone else.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here