Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
columnar apple trees

Posted by cheryl1054 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 07 at 0:33

About 10 years ago I ordered a group of 3 different columnar apple trees. Unfortunately I never saved the tags, so I dont recall the variety nor the nursery I purchased them from. 1 died and the other 2 almost never produce fruit, if so its maybe only 1 or 2 apples. The trees themselves look very healthy. I dont have polination problems with my other fruit trees. So what could it be? After all this time a few more apples would be great!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: columnar apple trees

Cheryl:

Columnar apple trees are a novelty item, developed to sell nursery stock to people who lack the space for in-ground trees and want to try container growing. They are not for producing apples.

I have seen a very few cases where people report growing as many as 10 or a dozen apples on these trees, but most people who try them are disappointed. My personal view is that, if you truly don't have space to plant in the ground, and have a very large container, planting a branched tree on a full-dwarfing rootstock like M-27 is a better alternative than the columnar trees.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here