Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Made it to the top!

Posted by poolecw Georgia 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 0:36

My Concords have made it to the top! Now what? LOL.These are two year old plants that I planted in March.

I've seen conflicting advice on the web. Some say to bend the main shoot and direct it down one of the wires. Then let another shoot begin to develop and train it the other direction.

Other advice I've seen is to cut the main shoot a few inches below the top wire. Then let two buds develop sending one in each direction on the wire.

I've seen other advice that says to cut the plant back below the bottom wire, letting it be strong next year.

You can see the two lower arms that I've let to start to develop. Should I be doing this now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Made it to the top!

I always cut it off below the wire a few inches. I think the lower wire branches are fine though I am FAR from an expert on the subject. One suggestion though.....get rid of that grass around it. Make that a 6' across mulched spot and the grape will thank you. Grass is an awful good competitor for water and nutrients.

o

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably trim the vine back below the wire and let two shoots develop for the upper arms.

One aggravating point, come winter, I will have to transplant this concord to a different trellis...it was accidentally planted on my muscidine trellis.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 12:39

Here in my locale, the source of truth for most gardening approaches is the "Sunset Western Garden Book." It recommends letting grapes sprawl and grow unchecked the first year. You want it to develop as many leaves as possible so that it grows stronger roots. Then you select the sturdiest shoot to train in the first winter.

My Crimson Seedless starting to color up:

Here is a link that might be useful: HOW TO GROW GRAPES

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here