Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tonytranomaha

When will this heat wave goes away?

Tony
11 years ago

It has been six weeks now the weather is in the 90-100's without any rain. The grounds are crack open. I have not seen this kind of hot and bone dry since the Willie Nelson Farm Aids in the mid 80's.

Tony

Comments (20)

• iowajer
    11 years ago

I'm just 30 mi North of Omaha, so I know what you're talking about Tony.

According to Weather.com, we average 4.38" of rain for the month of July & this month we've had 0.01".
    That coupled with the scorching heat is really taking a toll on things.

Two things have impressed me to no end though.... my 5 Carmine Jewel cherry bushes and my 2 Saskatoon (June Berry) seem virtually unaffected by it all. (The June Berries were planted this year too!) And like I noted in my other post, the row of Heritage raspberries are doing real well too.

But in looking at the timberline as I drink my morning coffee and I see mature Oak & Ash trees turning yellow & brown. I don't know if it's the drought conditions or if it's just what they usually do about a month to six weeks from now as they get ready for winter...

That wouldn't surprise me really, given how out of sync things have been this year. (I planted potatoes and bush beans the middle of March!!!)

Maybe we just need to get out there and do a li'l rain dance Tony.

• franktank232
    11 years ago

When?

The Euro shows some relief for you a week from now...

Who knows if its short lived or not.

• berry_bob
    11 years ago

I am about 2 hrs or so north of you and its bone dry here and has been real hot , the trees are dropping leaves , lilocs look dead . I told thewife I wasn't real sure spending all the $$ on water was worth it but I can't just let my berries and othere plants just die either

• bruce2288
    11 years ago

I am in central ne, west of St Paul. Not only did I miss the July rain but also June. It has now been 64 days without measureable precip. Pastures are brown, my corn will not pay to combine. It will rain again someday it always has.

• campv 8b AZ
    11 years ago

I feel very bad for all of you.
    We are some what use to the heat, but we broke many high temp.records this year and its very hard on the gardens and fruit trees. We are finally getting our monsoons and it is helping, but the gardens are coming in real late for everyone. I am just now getting some tomatoes. Saving money on water is real hard. In the past I have used the water when I take a shower. It can get a little crowed with the 5 gl bucket, but can save small plants. Hope this helps and good luck to everyone

• bruce2288
    11 years ago

I am in central ne, west of St Paul. Not only did I miss the July rain but also June. It has now been 64 days without measureable precip. Pastures are brown, my corn will not pay to combine. It will rain again someday it always has.

• bennylafleur
    11 years ago

Tony, I suggest that you move to God's country here in the mountains of Tn., that way I could help you eat all the persimmons that you grow.

Benny

• Tony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Benny,

That sounds good. May be someday we would have a persimmons and pawpaws tossing contest in the mountains of Tn.

Tony

• franktank232
    11 years ago

Looks like some relief on the way...Sunday the high temp here is suppose to be 77F and not much warmer on Monday... The Euro (wx model) is showing another shot of cool weather for the midwest midweek... Looks like finally I get some good biking/gardening wx...

• olpea
    11 years ago

In our locale the NWS has reported we've received 5.88" of rain for the 4 month period beginning April 1st thru July 31. I don't think we've even received that much rain out at the farm.

Keep in mind we normally average more than 5" per month for that period. On top of that the temps have been way above normal for that period with lots of wind, which compounds the situation. We are currently under a D3 "extreme" drought.

• franktank232
    11 years ago

Olpea-

That is crazy. I think its bad here and since April 1st, I've had right around 13 inches of precip in my yard. I've been watering a lot again lately although we did pick up a little rain this morning.

We had the hottest July on record here...beating out July 1936.

• glib
    11 years ago

5.88" over that period is way more than my garden has received in SE MI. Granted, we have been unlucky. The guy who sells a steer to our meat club is some 60 miles N of here and he is getting new growth, and there was rain S of here too. I only have two small side beds that are not on drip, and those are deader than Elvis.

• Tony
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No rain insight yet, but this weekends a little milder in the high 80's. Next week the 90-100's will return. Can't wait until fall begins.

Tony

• olpea
    11 years ago

"5.88" over that period is way more than my garden has received in SE MI"

Glib,

Yeah I think we've been unlucky at our small farm too and actually haven't received the amount of rain the NWS is reporting. A few months ago the NWS station at Pleasant Hill MO (closest station to me) received almost a 3" rain and we received only 1/4" at the farm for that rain.

I think our rain at the farm is closer to the 3" mark for the last 4 months. Some parts of MO are in a D4 drought, which is as high as the drought ratings go.

Last week I heard one of the weathermen saying this was the hottest summer on record for the KC area.

• olpea
    11 years ago

Just noticed the forecast in our area doesn't show a single day above 100F for the next 7 days. I think this is the first time I've seen this since the extreme heat started in June.

• franktank232
    11 years ago

Today is almost perfect...70Fs, cool wind...low humidity...

heaven...

get this...the Euro last night showed a very potent cold shot NEXT weekend...

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

Someone recently sent me an email about Chemtrails,which come from jets that are releasing things into the air.I've never heard of it before.
    I checked online and found some videos on Youtube about it.Most of it appears to be Aluminum,but there are other chemicals like Strontium and Barium.
    I told a coworker and he found a whole page of listed things.
    It's so new to me,but apparently has been going on for decades.There are reasons suggested in a video,like trying to control the weather,to making money or population control.
    There are two main videos out called,Why in the World are They Spraying? and What in the World are They Spraying.
    I've been thinking about this weird weather and this is one of the things that came to mind. Brady

• mrsg47
    11 years ago

In RI, far away from the midwest, we have had no rain in Newport. My tomatoes are turning yellow and will only have one crop. My new trees are being hand watered, as I have no water out to my orchard. This is terribly minor compared to you all. I am so sympathetic. What a summer. Great for melons and not much else. Mrs. G

• ltilton
    11 years ago

Starting tomorrow, temps here supposed to be in the 70s. Maybe the end is nigh.