Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgirl_gw

Questions regarding allergy to berries

milehighgirl
10 years ago

I know this is a medical question but I also know there are a lot of very learned people here, so I am going to ask. One of my sons has an allergy to all berries. We have tested him with skin tests for common berries and with applied kinesiology for the more rare berries. I am stumped as to what he is actually allergic to.

He's allergic to the normal berries such as strawberries and cane berries, but now that my Illinois Everbearing mulberry and my gooseberry are ripening fruit I tested him with these. I really thought he would not be allergic to mulberries, but when I discovered he was I tested him with figs also.

He is not allergic to stone fruit, so thankfully cherries are okay. Also cranberries and grapes are fine.

I took him to a naturopath that was able to eliminate even cat allergies, but so far the allergy to berries persists.

So my main question is, what do the berries he's allergic to have in common?

Comments (7)

• gator_rider2
    10 years ago

I think seed he allergic to all ones that are small fruits. You can take like blackberries add small amount water heat on stove add sugar make drink juice strain it with fine mesh strainer.
    I've met several people can't handle seeds small fruits you Google Allergic to small seeds.
    I'm allergic to my own body heat in winter my skin cold like 10:00 am and do hard exercises go to itching on places of my skin for 10 minutes over for rest the day. Not big deal I just wear real warm clothing in winter morning all okay no itch.
    Hopefully your son grow out allergic condition most of allergic do grow out condition.

• eboone_gw
    10 years ago

What type of 'allergic' symptoms does he show?
    Are the symptoms serious (throat swelling, wheezing, breathing trouble)? The same to all berries?
    Is he allergic to any other foods at all?

(I'm a family physician)

• ericwi
    10 years ago

There is a good chance that he is not allergic to blueberries, since you say he can eat cranberries, and these two are related species. He might be gluten intolerant, which is a challenge to manage, since gluten is in so many common foods. Gluten intolerance can act as a trigger for "itchy skin" that appears suddenly after physical labor and overheating, followed by rapid cooling.

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

He is allergic to blueberries also, forgot to mention that. He gets an itchy throat, runny nose, sneezing, and it exacerbates his asthma. He is also allergic to shell fish, several evergreen trees, horses, grass pollen, and cats and dogs. He does not seem to be allergic to our ferrets.

• eboone_gw
    10 years ago

I feel for you and for your son. Both my kids had bad asthma, my son had severe respiratory allergies and my daughter had life-threatening reactions to walnuts and pecans(even if the allergens were aerosolized by someone eating them near her). They are 26 and 24 now, and those problems are markedly reduced.

It sounds like he is reacting to histamine in certain foods. Histamine is a key chemical in our body's allergic reactions but is also found in various foods. His reactions are typical for an 'allergic person's' response to those foods. Typically a true allergic reaction to a food, not just exposure to dietary histamines, is much more severe-but these reactions like your son gets are often labeled as an 'allergic reaction'. Typically milder symptoms like his will respond to one of the anti-histamines, and the degree of the reaction is dependent on how much of the food is consumed, what else is consumed with some histamine in it, and how much other allergic and asthmatic reactions are already going on. Best thing is really avoidance for now, antihistamines as needed, and possibly consider allergy desensitization shots with a real Allergist for his respiratory allergies which often helps asthma significantly in a highly allergic person. My understanding is that shots are not really helpful for 'food allergies', just for the respiratory allergies like pollen, mold, etc.

I linked a nice explanation below that I found on line-not sure about all of the writer's conclusions at the end or the book promoted. From reading your posts I have noted that you really research things well for your orchard and I am sure you are even more concerned for you son. If you have any questions for me I can answer them here or by email. Good luck with those allergic symptoms.

Here is a link that might be useful: histamine in foods

• insteng
    10 years ago

One way to help get over allergies is to eat some local honey. You eat a little bit each day and it helps you overcome your allergies. I had a cousin that had the same type of problems and that is what the doctor told him to do. He doesn't have any allergies anymore. Though you will also outgrow most allergies in time as well.

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

eboone ,

The article you linked to is exactly the information that I was hoping for. This ties all of his allergies together. It addresses shellfish in particular and I can understand why, along with berries and other fruit, he is also allergic to shellfish, which is seemingly unrelated.

I have only skimmed the article and I will have to study it more in depth. I feel as though we may finally be able to get a handle on the problem.

He was given allergy shots as a boy. I recently took him to National Jewish and they are preparing more allergy shots for him. My fear was that the shots would address more symptoms and not the main cause of the allergies. Rather than "growing out" of his allergies they have become worse. He is about to turn 21 now and his allergies and asthma have made finishing his education and working impossible.

I can't thank you enough!

This post was edited by milehighgirl on Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 13:43