Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plumogranate Plumcot

Posted by Bradybb wa8 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 1:06

A coworker found this fruit at a local supermarket.He said he likes them more than Flavor King,so I had to find out for myself.
I bought about a half dozen and tried one so far.They are very sweet and rich,but I think a ripe Flavor King is better.
They are grown,I believe exclusively at Family Tree Farms in Reedley,California.
Has anyone tried these Plumcots?I'd sure like to grow them if it were available. Brady

Here is a link that might be useful: Family Tree Farms Plumcots

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plumogranate Plumcot

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 7:53

Beautiful pictures!! Many of the big growers in CA grow lots of pluots I've never heard of or seen listed by DWN. I think they test dozens if not hundreds we have no access to and choose which they like. DWN may sell exclusive rights to grow some I don't know. DWN doesn't want to waste they're breath on small growers like me even though I'm technically a commercial customer having ordered 150 trees last yr. If I asked about Plumogranate they'd probably hang up the phone.

o

I'm sorry to inform you two, but plumogrante pluot has no "apricot" in its parentage. Plumogranate is actually a plum developed by BEN DOR FRUITS & NURSERIES in Israel.

Here is the link:

http://www.bendorfruits.com/plumegranate.html

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 15:55

weatherman:

Brady is pointing out plumogranate not plumegranate.

o

Hopefully Costco or Sam's will carry some of this fruits someday. I want to try them all.

Tony

o

That's very interesting weatherman.There's only one letter difference in the spelling.
Is there info on the Bendor site about the origin?The fruit looks very similar.
If the one I had is a Plum,it's the best I've eaten.
I may contact Family Tree Farms. Brady

o

They look similar to the Black Velvet from Kingsburg Orchards. I will have to say that these are the best fruits I've had from the store, bar none!

I just bought a package from Costco that had yellow, pink and burgundy flesh with black skin. The darkest flesh had the best flavor and more sugar too.

I have saved seeds from all the darkest flesh ones and will plant them now so they will be both warm and cold stratified. I didn't know plums needed warm stratification until last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aprium rootstock suggestions

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here