Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradybbb

Plumogranate Plumcot

Bradybb WA-Zone8
9 years ago

A coworker found this fruit at a local supermarket.He said he likes them more than Flavor King,so I had to find out for myself.
I bought about a half dozen and tried one so far.They are very sweet and rich,but I think a ripe Flavor King is better.
They are grown,I believe exclusively at Family Tree Farms in Reedley,California.
Has anyone tried these Plumcots?I'd sure like to grow them if it were available. Brady

Here is a link that might be useful: Family Tree Farms Plumcots

Comments (6)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

Beautiful pictures!! Many of the big growers in CA grow lots of pluots I've never heard of or seen listed by DWN. I think they test dozens if not hundreds we have no access to and choose which they like. DWN may sell exclusive rights to grow some I don't know. DWN doesn't want to waste they're breath on small growers like me even though I'm technically a commercial customer having ordered 150 trees last yr. If I asked about Plumogranate they'd probably hang up the phone.

• itheweatherman
    9 years ago

I'm sorry to inform you two, but plumogrante pluot has no "apricot" in its parentage. Plumogranate is actually a plum developed by BEN DOR FRUITS & NURSERIES in Israel.

Here is the link:

http://www.bendorfruits.com/plumegranate.html

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

weatherman:

Brady is pointing out plumogranate not plumegranate.

• Tony
    9 years ago

Hopefully Costco or Sam's will carry some of this fruits someday. I want to try them all.

Tony

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's very interesting weatherman.There's only one letter difference in the spelling.
    Is there info on the Bendor site about the origin?The fruit looks very similar.
    If the one I had is a Plum,it's the best I've eaten.
    I may contact Family Tree Farms. Brady

• milehighgirl
    9 years ago

They look similar to the Black Velvet from Kingsburg Orchards. I will have to say that these are the best fruits I've had from the store, bar none!

I just bought a package from Costco that had yellow, pink and burgundy flesh with black skin. The darkest flesh had the best flavor and more sugar too.

I have saved seeds from all the darkest flesh ones and will plant them now so they will be both warm and cold stratified. I didn't know plums needed warm stratification until last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aprium rootstock suggestions