Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many times can watermelon produce fruit?

Posted by TheUrbanAsianGarden none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 1:18

Started growing watermelon this year and it turned out pretty good here in texas. I got 3-4 good watermelon and than we got a very rainy week. Now all my watermelon plants are growing like crazy and are flowering a lot again. I can even see quite a few small watermelon growing again: even watermelon plants that I thought were dead are coming back so I gave them some fish emulsion. In addition what is your favorite watermelon seed variety? It is about to hit august do you guys think I should let my watermelon keep growing or weed them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many times can watermelon produce fruit?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 9:47

I'm able sometimes to fruit the same Star Brite plants from late June until October. But it takes constant care. The right amount of fertilizer, water, and usually foliar disease control.

You are right in observing the fact that they have to keep growing in order to flower and fruit. In addition the leaves need to stay healthy and/or grow enough new to make a sweet fruit.

It's easier here to have at least two plantings. One for early fruits and one for the late summer/fall.

Star Brite is my favorite. It averages more than 25 lbs on vigorous vines and runs 11-14 brix, 14 is almost too sweet. Seedless are too hard to grow, have smaller fruit, and don't produce as much. I've tried many others and Star Brite wins every year. But melons are very regionally adapted. What works here won't look as good elsewhere.

o
RE: How many times can watermelon produce fruit?

I am trying lots of Heirloom varieties this year. They actually are growing better than the storebought common varieties...
Here is what im growing:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cornucop/msg051103452232.html

From alot of reviews I'd say, next year try these:
Ali Baba (its light and doesn't sunburn... also it grow fastest for me even in this humid/wet summer)
Moon and Stars (pretty and dependable for me in this wet summer)
OrangeGlo (supposedly one of best flavored, moving them in a truck supposedly they break/crack... so only for small scale home gardener... but i really want to try one)
BlackTail Mountain (just overall very good reviews)

The worst ones growing for me were the common store ones: Sugar Baby, Crimson Sweet, Fairie. Very slow growing for some reason ... Heard Sugar Baby is usually good one though.

I think I only watered lightly a couple times whole summer to get nutrients into soil and foliar spray. just been getting so much rain, i dont want them to turn less sweet by watering too much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here