Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me save my cherimoya plants !

Posted by wondermare Ca (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 1:20

Hi
I have 60 cherimoya trees which I germinated from seed. They are now just 6 months old and were doing great outside In 18" pots.
They are almost 18" tall.

Last week my gardener put a 16-16-16 fertilizer in them and I don't think they liked it because I noticed some yellowing of the leaves.

I had also noticed something eating some of the leafs and I made a big mistake of spraying them all with insectisidal soap.
Now some of them definitely don't look so good. Some of the leaves look burnt and some will fall off when touched. Also some of the new leaves coming in look curled and turned black in color and dry!!

I freaked out and watered them heavily and scooped out the top inch or two of soil. I don't know what was worse the fertilizer or the insectisidal soap but Tomorrow morning I was going to replace the scooped out soil with new potting soil but I don't really know what to do to try to save these plants.

Or even if I should do anything at all?!?

They are like my babies and I would be so sad to lose them
What should I do now???

Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me save my cherimoya plants !

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 9:41

I think watering heavily to wash out excess salts was the right thing to do. Unless the fertilizer dose was way over done the plants should recover.

I don't know why the insecticidal soap would have hurt them but it shouldn't kill them. Salts could kill the roots and thus the trees. But having flushed those out you've done all you can at this point.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here