Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thinning Asian pears

Posted by HeyJude2012 10b/24 CA (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 1:44

Hi everyone! I bought a semi dwarf Asian pear tree last year. I cant remember what kind. It's either Shinseiki or Hosui. (not sure of spelling) After I bought it, I read that you need to have two in order to have them pollinated. My tree took forever to start leafing out. I actually thought it was dead and the very day I went to take it back to the nursery, it popped out a couple of leaflets. It flowered nicely. Not a lot of blooms but they all got pollinated and now I have seven baby pears all on the same branch. I wasn't expecting to have any fruit. I had so many blossoms on my apple tree and not one single one turned into an apple.

Anyways, do I cut some off? Leave it alone? If I do cut some off, how do I pick which ones? Does it matter?

The tree is putting out new blossoms now. I've never had any experience with this type of tree before so I am worried I will not take care of it correctly.

I would appreciate any advice. Thank you! Jude

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thinning Asian pears

I have two of those trees that I planted last year. One of them bloomed twelve or more flowers at every bud on the tree. I had over 500 pears on one little tree! Anyway I thinned mine to one per cluster. I read that you should not have more than one every six inches on the tree. You need to stake these tree too. They are very limber for the first three or four years. Mine just about bent in half. I had it tied from last year with just twine. It rotted and broke in the wind. Then heavy rain bent the tree over. Thankfully it didn't break. Growing fruit will slow the growth of the tree too.

o

Absolutely thin. And don't get a pollinator variety unless you really want another fruit. It will just make the thinning job worse or maybe not because it already sets way too much.

o

Thank you to both of you!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here