Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Surround (Kaolin Clay) Leaf Coverage

Posted by blueboy1977 TX9A/B (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 1:49

Did my first spray of Surround last week on my blueberry plants. The only variety that didnt bead up on the leafs was Snowchaser. The rest of the plants beaded up pretty good when sprayed. My question is would a couple of drops of liquid dish soap in the solution solve this problem with out harming the leafs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Surround (Kaolin Clay) Leaf Coverage

Thats what I sometimes do on plums. I have never used it on blueberries. I use insecticidal soap at a rate of about a tsp per gallon. Most of the time I don't use it since the coverage usually ends up being good enough but if there is too much beading I throw the soap in.

Scott

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 16:22

Blueboy, I can't offer any help regarding surround. It would be good to know more about it if the need ever arose.

At the risk of going off topic, may I ask which insect you are battling on your BB? Also, I wasn't aware that you were into organic controls, so it would be interesting to read your thoughts on the matter.

o

Thanks Scott.

Clint, I got it to help control Thrips and help growth due to heat stress. Ive been fighting them for 3 years now. I had a few this Feb when bloom was going on but they have since left with no sign of them at all this year. Usually I have a few this time of year and by Aug, Sept Im over run with them. This year they may give me a break but Im not taking any chances. Ive been trying to control them in the past with Spinosad and had decent luck as long as I kept spraying new growth every two weeks. Problem is that it was pretty hard on the beneficials aswell. Ive had good luck so far with organics and blueberries. Im lucky to be able to use Microlife Fert. Its only available in the Houston area as far as I know and is the only fert Ive ever used on my Blues and they absolutly love it.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 22:36

Blueboy, I like your approach. Thanks for sharing. I'm looking to go fully organic with BB soon. My approach is pretty much organic with everything else. Microlife products are not available here. Our regional favorite brand here is Gro-Power (it's not certified organic as the company doesn't want to pay the fees).

o

Thanks for bringing this up, blueboy. I noticed stem damage last year that I suspected might be thrip caused, and I'm also seeing a lot of mealybug and leafhopper activity this year. I have some Surround on hand already, so I might as well try it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here