Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blackberry Bush Overgrown-Needs Management

Posted by Bradybb WA8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 1:52

Just kidding.This is a common sight in the Pacific Northwest.This mass of Himalayan Blackberries is growing right up the street from me.
It's almost ideal,no need to take care of them(they're invasive),and are abundant and the flavor this year is about as good as it gets with the sun we've had.Most people ignore them though.
Maybe it's because of the thorns.I did say almost ideal.But still,it's fairly easy picking,without trying to go in too deep,there are plenty of berries on the edges.This afternoon,I picked over twenty cups in about an hour. Brady

photo Image451.jpg
 photo Image453.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blackberry Bush Overgrown-Needs Management

Can you spell pie?

o

As long as we have to put up with this noxious weed, at least it produces tasty, nutritious fruit. Hopefully, nobody has sprayed Crossbow on it. That's why I wouldn't touch the one along the roadside. The ones right across the street from my house are occasionally sprayed. My retired next door neighbor tells me he eats blackberries every morning throughout the year. He drives out to his favorite picking places during the berry season and freezes gallons of them.

o

Looks good! I've been picking my raspberries. I have five zip lock bags full and I have a fall crop on the way. I used to have lots of boysenberries but the deer trimmed them to many times. I just picked three gallon bags worth of blueberries. I made a pie last night, Yum! I paid a $1.99 a pound for those though.

o

Yeah, we have a monster blackberry patch near here. God only knows how many berries are there, as the interior is inaccessible without a machete. But we can pick to our hearts content around the outside. Huge berries too!

o

Well-attended brambles have small "bays" around the margins where people trample down the vegetation in an attempt to reach as many berries as possible from one stance.

o

it's the best squirrel repellents. I use it to wrap around my other fruit trees and tomatoes to keep them awy.

o

"it's the best squirrel repellents. I use it to wrap around my other fruit trees and tomatoes to keep them awy."

Thanks for the tip, I was wondering if this might work to keep pests away from some things.

We've got a blackberry that volunteered along our fence line and is nearing the end of it's first year of production.

Wondering how to propagate to get it where I want it. Cuttings on older canes?

o

yukkuri,
I took some actively growing primocane cuttings from a Blackberry,cut to about six inches and left a leaf or two at the top.Then made a diagonal cut at the bottom to wound them and dipped the end in rooting hormone and stuck them in small pots of Peat and Perlite,using mist to keep the leaves wet.They are showing new growth.
The tips of the plant can also be allowed to make contact with the soil and will root that way.Then cut it off when rooted and place where desired. Brady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here