Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with deciding how to prune/train my trees

Posted by milehighgirl CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 2:08

So far I've done little in the way of pruning or training my trees. Now I must decide exactly what I'm going to do. My PF-24C has suddenly bent itself over and it's touching the ground. Several other peaches have done this also. They are so heavily laden they can't support their own weight.

My little orchard is planted in rows 7' apart and the trees are 5' apart in the rows. I had my trees in pots for two years while the back yard was cleared of shade and pine trees, then we had to move quickly to plant before the roots froze. It was a simple mathematical decision.

I have not pruned the lower branches because I didn't want the trees to grow too tall. I am thinking that it might work to train the trees as if they were on a fence, espalier-style. At this point all the apples, pears, cherries and plums are fine, but the peaches are growing much more quickly and I need to make a decision. Should I try to train them to be bushy and round or tall and spread out along a cordon?

Personally I prefer the more natural look of a low bush, but will production and fruit quality be better if the branches are along cordons for the purpose of getting more sun?

I really should have made a decision a couple of years ago but I just could not make up my mind.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with deciding how to prune/train my trees

Personally I go "open center" with mine for purposes of light penetration and air circulation and head them off at roughly 8'. If you haven't pruned them at all I would start with height control and then move on to clearing the centers and crisscrossing branches and so on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here