Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dapple Dandy Pluot

Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 28, 10 at 2:17

I don't understand why Dapple Dandy doesn't get more love. The Dave Wilson site lists it right up there with the rest of the pluot taste test winners. Are folks leaving them on the tree long enough to get good and ripe? I had one today that was sweet/tart/juicy with nice size and texture. What else can you ask for?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dapple Dandy Pluot

I have one I planted last August after tasting a few and loved them. I didn't thin it enough so the fruit is pretty small but I keep watering it waiting for them to ripen all the way.

o

Good to hear. I went to the nursery this weekend to get some DE, and there were tons of pluot trees on the lot. I bought 4, two limes, and fig (I know..but the clerk was an enabler!) One of them is a Dapple Dandy, and it looks like I'll need to really prune it this winter when I plant it. I was really excited to get the last DD...our CSA sent DD pluots in our box last week. Yummy. Already ripe, juicy, and sweet!

o

My 2nd year old Dapple dandy are coloring up. So far it is a good tree to grow here on the east coast. If the fruit finish out decent I'll keep the tree. It is growing in a good spot.

o
RE: Dapple Dandy Pluot (pics)

I'm still not convinced once this was a winner in a taste test. The fruits are now available in stores so I bought some. Still a rarity similarly, their names Pluots
Not sure about their actual ID, the label says: Pluot: Brontosaurus eggs, origin: Southern Spain. They are also marketed in a rather cutesy way as Dinosaur Eggs. Probably all Dapple Dandies?
Degreening during one week I started my own personal taste test.
Juicy, very juicy, beautiful reddish flesh.
15 brix very sweet
Flavor: only a weak taste of sweet water
Smell: none
Aromas: none.
A very disappointed rapport, even the least tasty European plum tastes ten times better than this. What went wrong with this promising beautiful fruit? Maybe the problem with DD (and other fruit) is that its fair at best unless youre patient with it and you wait to pick it at full maturity.

Two years ago I was lucky to got a DD graft, now it's just one branch with a dozen fruits growing in pot, they seem very nice absolutely no problems with insects and birds, very striking, other fruits, peaches, nectarines and European plums were eaten. DDs are not popular?. Even insects, bees, Mason bees avoided pollinating the flowers.
Now I am very curious about the taste of "my own pluots". Be patient, I say to myself, but how long?

Here is a link that might be useful: Dapple Dandy

o

I don't get this. I picked some plums that had some color, were still very hard and let them sit a good week. I ate one today that was nice and soft. It was delicious. Way better then anything i've bought at the store. These professional growers must be picking this crap (peaches/plums/nects) while they are green! or something.

o

Comments on the above:

1. One of the big fresh fruit growers markets all dappled Pluot� varieties, including Dapple Dandy, as belonging to the "Dinosaur Egg" category.

2. For shipping, varieties of peach, nectarine, plum and Pluot� must be picked firm-ripe � a.k.a. green. Therefore to enjoy these fruits fully ripe they must be grown locally, i.e. at home or by fruit stand/farmer�s market growers.

3. DWN fruit tasting results are real. Wouldn�t do us a bit of good to fudge them to promote crummy varieties.

4. I�ve been present when DD wowed the fruit tasters. I�ve also had it firm-ripe when it lacked sugar and flavor, and past-ripe when it was blah. It has a normal window for peak ripeness, not a long one. Picked right, Dapple Dandy is delicious, with a very appealing acid-sugar balance and a pleasing plummy flavor.

Craig

o

I have had to be patient with my Dapple Dandy tree. The fruit the first few years was awful. Astringent and/or sour. I don't think they developed properly. I have contemplated removing it every year until now.

The flavor of the fruit has become really good after about 4 years of growing. Out of the four Pluots that I have (Flavor King, Splash, Emerald Drop, Dapple Dandy) only Flavor King is better in my opinion.

It also seems like a very easy tree to grow. Vigorous and productive even in a low chill area. We average about 300 chill hours in our backyard.

o

• Posted by mrclint z10SoCal Valley (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 23:28

That's a beautiful tree and it's bearing nicely. Hang in there.

You have to let DD hold for a while to get over that spicy/acid state. It's tough because they look stunning and pickable way before their time. Let them get ugly, discolored, shrivelled and you will be rewarded. If you "trickle harvest" them to balance out the load on the tree as the season progresses -- you will notice the mellowing and sweetening as you go. Very underrated fruit IMHO.

I had one tonight that was worthy of writing a thank you note to Floyd Zaiger. :)

o

Mrclint,

What time of the year is the peak harvest for you? I have been eating the ones the rodents and birds have been knocking off of the tree. I haven't started picking any yet.

Have you tried picking a little early and letting them sit in the house for a week or two? Between the rats and birds I don't know how much fruit I will get if I leave them on the tree much longer.

What is the texture like when they shrivel? Does it get mushy or is it still firm?

Thanks,
Tom

This post was edited by econ0003 on Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 0:22

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here