Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Geneva Introductions Snapdragon/Rubyfrost

Posted by Appleseed70 6 MD (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 2:37

This isn't super new and most of you have probably seen them, but a forum search came up empty, so I thought I'd post it.
Photos of the newest introductions from the Geneva breeding program. Unfortunately a newer law has allowed Cornell to own the results of their program that was federally funded. Doesn't sound so bad at first, but it's what they've done with this that I find disturbing.
Cornell decided to bolster their program by funneling money back to them they would essentially market the brand. So, they decided to form a syndicate open only to New York apple growers who'd pay a fee for acreage in production and the growers would have exclusive rights to the apples. So MY tax dollars got to fund a program, that not only will I never benefit from, but rather endure the higher cost of these apples. Sweet. Same goes for growers anywhere else...or even NY for that matter...if they didn't join the syndicate.
Worse yet they bred Snapdragon with Honeycrisp as a parent. Honeycrisp as far as I know was never afforded this cloak of protection. Since it was public domain Cornell snatches it, breeds it with something else using our money, then they own it. Correct me anyone if my take on this is wrong.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Geneva Introductions Snapdragon/Rubyfrost

Another

o

and another

o

First two photos are Snapdragon, the last is Rubyfrost. I will say I found photos online of the actual apples and they look very normal...not super high color like in the photos. I suspect these photos were shopped.

o

I don't like these programs either, but breeding new varieties is expensive work and Cornell is suffering from major cutbacks lately. This is so your tax dollars aren't needed and the breeding is self sufficient. It's not like Cornell is using the money to pad the retirement funds of their professors.

Breeding work at Cornell has already been greatly reduced due to budget constraints.

o

Harvestman...I get what your saying and I too am a fan of the Geneva program and all fruit breeding in general. I know it's incredibly expensive to run these programs. Minnestoa's breeding program was no less costly and when they introduced Honeycrisp it basically became public domain. Why not just put a royalty fee on them like others have done?
What about apple growers in say...Connecticut? They helped pay for this program that has now put them at a competitive disadvantage with those in the NY syndicate. This whole syndicate business seems to have began with the Jazz from NZ.
Another thing that irks me is they won't disclose what they bred to get them other than to say Snapdragon's chief parent is Honeycrisp. They saw Honeycrisp's success and wanted to tie their product to it...to ride it's coat tails so to speak. An apple that was never part of a "syndicate".

o

It's not like Cornell is using the money to pad the retirement funds of their professors.

How can you be sure of this Harvestman? This is the danger when tax monies begin to be used for what is basically a private enterprise. NO, scratch that, what IS a private enterprise.

This is so your tax dollars aren't needed and the breeding is self sufficient.

I'd be willing to bet a $20 bill against a donut that they will continue to seek and be granted federal monies. In fact, I'll guarantee it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here