Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Avocado leaves turning brown

Posted by phantomofthenight none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 4:41

Over the weekend I noticed my dwarf Hashimoto avocado's leaves are turning brown and are starting to drop.

I'm not sure if it is because of frost damage, fungus or the surrounding mulch? Is it worth digging it up and putting it in a large to pot to rehabilitate it?

The plant is 2 years old and hasn't grown much despite being regularly fertilised.

The soil is volcanic with a couple of layers of mulch on it and the tree has morning sun and afternoon shade.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Avocado leaves turning brown

This is my other dwarf Hass avocado which is 1.5m away from the damaged Hashimoto.

The tree has some insect damage but is in much better condition than the other tree.

Anything advice you have would be much appreciated.

o

Still looking for help...

o

Avocados tend to get ragged looking when the weather is cold. They also don't like wet and cold roots. It makes them vulnerable to root rot. I wouldn't water them in the cold winter unless the soil completely drys out.

I wouldn't fertilize them at all unless they are putting on a lot of new growth during the growing season. They are very sensitive to salt accumulation in the soil.

My guess would be that it is suffering from the cold weather and/or salt accumulation from the information you gave.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here