Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problems with plums?

Posted by cpk1 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 4:57

Hi people,

We've recently moved house and in the garden are 3 massive plums trees, they belonged to an orchard of the neighbours house which was built in 1850 so I guess they are 150yrs+ old.

This is our first summer with them and I've noticed all 3 trees have this problem - see link to photo below.

None of the fruit looks particularly appetising! Can anyone advise what I should do now and for next year to ensure I get a good healthy crop?

Any help is appreciated.

Many thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of problem

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problems with plums?

I rather doubt the trees are that old. Plums just don't last that long.

What is it that you think is wrong with them? The front 2 look a bit scruffy but the unripe fruit behind look fine. The purple one looks like a prematurely ripe one so not a good example. As to the leaves they look normal for this time of year. They are not ripe yet so I'd wait until they really are ready to eat before judging them. This year seems to be heavy plum year so some thinning might help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here