Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating Grape Vines

Posted by madferret UK 8b-9a (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 11, 10 at 6:20

Is it possible to propagate a vine from store bought seedless grapes? The vine is quite green still and I've put it in water for now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating Grape Vines

I would think there should be leaves, but the cluster is actually the flower/fruit connected by a short stem with no leaves. This could be tricky. I have one in the fridge, and I see no buds that could turn into roots or shoots on mine.

I can't imagine that it would work, but grapevines are easy to propagate, so maybe it will! Give it a try!! Let us know how it works out!
Suzi

o

There is nothing on the grapes I buy that you could propagate. There are no seeds. The "stem" that the grapes grow on will not propagate. You would need a cane or root to have any chance.

o

Never heard of it, but you have nothing to lose. Let us know how it works out.

If you don't have access to any grape vines to take cuttings, bare root grape vines are usually inexpensive and grow very quickly.

Another option is to find your local gardening club and someone there is sure to have a grapevine and will be happy to let you have some cuttings.

Pay attention to variety because grapes are very specific about the climate they require to set sweet fruit.

Fortunately, there seem to be grapes available for every climate. I wonder, though, if you are in the UK if the grapes in the supermarket might be from someplace warmer like Spain or France. The variety might not be adaptable to your growing conditions.

o

Agree fruitnut. I went out to the vineyard, and pinched off 4 baby clusters (just forming) because I don't want them on the vines, but I checked them closely! Having rooted many vines, their little stem is not something that could root! For roots to form, there needs to be buds, leaf scars, something!!

I've rooted green softwood cuttings, and dormant cuttings. Both are easy, but this rooting a cluster thing is not something, either you or I, think will work.

Still, I'm a bit of an optimist and somebody that tries to push the envelope, so I'm cheering that this thing works! What can it hurt to give it a try?

One thing I found, (off topic now), trying to root basil in water is that basil is cake to root in water, but... just sticking those stems in water preserves them for 2-5 days much better than if you stick them in the fridge. They go black immediately! But the water keeps them fresh for nightly use!

I know, I diverged! LOL!

Good luck rooting that cluster!!
Suzi

o

What I appear to have is a piece of stem with 6-8 clusters attached, not just a cluster, but anyway going to give it a go.

As for getting some proper vines, maybe I will at some point, presuming I do, do I need some sort of frame/trellises?

o

• Posted by myk1 5 IL (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 12, 10 at 13:34

I would imagine some sort. With the UK's reputation for being damp I don't think you'd get away with ground sprawl.

It doesn't have to be much. Although I think overhead grapes have a great look to them.

o

I Guess I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but what about grafting a cluster to any live plant you might have in your garden. If it takes it may grow into something you can propagate ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here