Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madferret

Propagating Grape Vines

Mad Ferret
13 years ago

Is it possible to propagate a vine from store bought seedless grapes? The vine is quite green still and I've put it in water for now.

Comments (10)

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    13 years ago

I would think there should be leaves, but the cluster is actually the flower/fruit connected by a short stem with no leaves. This could be tricky. I have one in the fridge, and I see no buds that could turn into roots or shoots on mine.

I can't imagine that it would work, but grapevines are easy to propagate, so maybe it will! Give it a try!! Let us know how it works out!
    Suzi

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    13 years ago

There is nothing on the grapes I buy that you could propagate. There are no seeds. The "stem" that the grapes grow on will not propagate. You would need a cane or root to have any chance.

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

Never heard of it, but you have nothing to lose. Let us know how it works out.

If you don't have access to any grape vines to take cuttings, bare root grape vines are usually inexpensive and grow very quickly.

Another option is to find your local gardening club and someone there is sure to have a grapevine and will be happy to let you have some cuttings.

Pay attention to variety because grapes are very specific about the climate they require to set sweet fruit.

Fortunately, there seem to be grapes available for every climate. I wonder, though, if you are in the UK if the grapes in the supermarket might be from someplace warmer like Spain or France. The variety might not be adaptable to your growing conditions.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    13 years ago

Agree fruitnut. I went out to the vineyard, and pinched off 4 baby clusters (just forming) because I don't want them on the vines, but I checked them closely! Having rooted many vines, their little stem is not something that could root! For roots to form, there needs to be buds, leaf scars, something!!

I've rooted green softwood cuttings, and dormant cuttings. Both are easy, but this rooting a cluster thing is not something, either you or I, think will work.

Still, I'm a bit of an optimist and somebody that tries to push the envelope, so I'm cheering that this thing works! What can it hurt to give it a try?

One thing I found, (off topic now), trying to root basil in water is that basil is cake to root in water, but... just sticking those stems in water preserves them for 2-5 days much better than if you stick them in the fridge. They go black immediately! But the water keeps them fresh for nightly use!

I know, I diverged! LOL!

Good luck rooting that cluster!!
    Suzi

• Mad Ferret
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What I appear to have is a piece of stem with 6-8 clusters attached, not just a cluster, but anyway going to give it a go.

As for getting some proper vines, maybe I will at some point, presuming I do, do I need some sort of frame/trellises?

• myk1
    13 years ago

I would imagine some sort. With the UK's reputation for being damp I don't think you'd get away with ground sprawl.

It doesn't have to be much. Although I think overhead grapes have a great look to them.

• Cranium
    11 years ago

I Guess I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but what about grafting a cluster to any live plant you might have in your garden. If it takes it may grow into something you can propagate ?

• Joey
    7 years ago

I haven't been able to find anything online that can verify growing vines from store bought grapes; several say it can't be done.

"One of the most amazing things about plants is that every cell has the ability to duplicate all parts and functions of the plant. By taking a cutting of a leaf or stem and creating the right conditions, you can create an entirely new plant" ~ http://bit.ly/2fjI1Rn

so... I'm trying it right now with some Red Table Grapes from Wal-Mart. I chose a bag with the most "vine" still attached, still green, and out on the table display (not the fridge display). It's been 48 hours and looking better than expected - I think it will work. I will post results. If it does work, I'll post all the details.

Thanks for all your input!

• Konrad..just outside of Edmonton Alberta
    7 years ago

Normally.. grape clusters you buy doesn't come with vine..unless you have leaves..picture would help.

• pip313
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It can be done but probably not directly. You might have to learn tissue culture which pretty much is learning how to make and keep something sterile. Not too easy. Not impossible. Not worth it for some plant you can buy regardless of the price.

i don't think I can do it. But building a sterile glove box would help tremendously.

Not so legal things could be done. Cotton candy grape, mandared mandarins, pretty much any "private" plant could be yours. Sumo (dekopon) could have been yours many years ago.

The issue of disease could be very bad depending if there are quarantines. And still extremely irresponsible if not. So you'd have to do it indoor in a sealed environment and get tests done for the major diseases. Could be done yourself or tested for professionally depending on the disease. Very risky and very hard to do as an amature. So probably won't be worth the effort.

It would be illegal if the plant is patented. Just immoral if it's unpatented but unreleased. It's possible many private plants are not patented. Just private through licensing deals.

All in all how dedicated to gardening are you and how badly do you want what you are not "supposed" to have?