Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadianplant

More chemicals thought to be causing Bee die offs

canadianplant
10 years ago

Pesticides have been all the talk in regard to CCD. Now they have possibly linked fungacides as well:

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2013/130724.htm

Comments (8)

• User
    10 years ago

I think this proves they have no clue what is doing it.......

• fabaceae_native
    10 years ago

All the more reason to grow without using chemicals...

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Well without chemicals bee keepers would not be able to raise bees, so I guess we should stop raising them.
    The problem appears to be organic in nature, which is so ironic. Sure fungicides make it worse, and maybe pesticides altogether, but the problem is a parasite! Ha!!
    Organic or inorganic they are all chemicals. Something that so many refuse to see. I don't see a difference at all. Most deadly toxins are organic, come from spiders, snakes and plants. So using the philosophy of so many here, we should stop using organics.
    Why people fail to see that if organic or inorganic throwing the baby out with the bath water is not a good idea!

Let's find out exactly what the problem is and correct it. That is exactly what the researchers say we should do, and they are correct. Let's not condemn everything chemical, that makes no sense at all. .

This post was edited by Drew51 on Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 10:37

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The problem seems to be suceptability to the parasite due to stress caused by bringing contaminated pollen to the hive, therefore spreading it around....

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found the USDA abstract in regards to this:

Here is a link that might be useful: bee death

• User
    10 years ago

It is simply a theory.......problem is people put forth a theory and it is repeated and in the easily swayed it becomes fact.

• mes111
    10 years ago

"ORGANIC" , "NATURAL" "CHEMICAL FREE" (don't know what that means)....

These MEGA labels mean _nothing_.

Cobra venom is organic & natural as are poison mushrooms and.....
    So is compost, and milk and honey and penicillin and apple pie.....

All of our activities entail a trade off. The trick is to try and balance the benefits and the costs of the trade-offs.

Most often one side of the trade-off or the other will be unhappy. Unfortunately most of the positions taken by those on either side are ruled more by emotions than by reasoning.

Emotion driven positions are absolutist, rigid and by their nature can't help but be inward looking and fossilizing.

Oooops !!!! Could I have gotten too emotional about this ???

Mike

• canadianplant
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bamboorabbit - a few years ago id agree, but the evidence is piling up now with proper studies like this one. Its ignorant to believe everything you read, sure, but its just as ignorant to ignore blatant evidence, and better more coheisive studies like we are getting now.