Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More chemicals thought to be causing Bee die offs

Posted by canadianplant (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 6:27

Pesticides have been all the talk in regard to CCD. Now they have possibly linked fungacides as well:

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2013/130724.htm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More chemicals thought to be causing Bee die offs

I think this proves they have no clue what is doing it.......

o

All the more reason to grow without using chemicals...

o

Well without chemicals bee keepers would not be able to raise bees, so I guess we should stop raising them.
The problem appears to be organic in nature, which is so ironic. Sure fungicides make it worse, and maybe pesticides altogether, but the problem is a parasite! Ha!!
Organic or inorganic they are all chemicals. Something that so many refuse to see. I don't see a difference at all. Most deadly toxins are organic, come from spiders, snakes and plants. So using the philosophy of so many here, we should stop using organics.
Why people fail to see that if organic or inorganic throwing the baby out with the bath water is not a good idea!

Let's find out exactly what the problem is and correct it. That is exactly what the researchers say we should do, and they are correct. Let's not condemn everything chemical, that makes no sense at all. .

This post was edited by Drew51 on Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 10:37

o

The problem seems to be suceptability to the parasite due to stress caused by bringing contaminated pollen to the hive, therefore spreading it around....

o

I found the USDA abstract in regards to this:

Here is a link that might be useful: bee death

o

It is simply a theory.......problem is people put forth a theory and it is repeated and in the easily swayed it becomes fact.

o

"ORGANIC" , "NATURAL" "CHEMICAL FREE" (don't know what that means)....

These MEGA labels mean _nothing_.

Cobra venom is organic & natural as are poison mushrooms and.....
So is compost, and milk and honey and penicillin and apple pie.....

All of our activities entail a trade off. The trick is to try and balance the benefits and the costs of the trade-offs.

Most often one side of the trade-off or the other will be unhappy. Unfortunately most of the positions taken by those on either side are ruled more by emotions than by reasoning.

Emotion driven positions are absolutist, rigid and by their nature can't help but be inward looking and fossilizing.

Oooops !!!! Could I have gotten too emotional about this ???

Mike

o

Bamboorabbit - a few years ago id agree, but the evidence is piling up now with proper studies like this one. Its ignorant to believe everything you read, sure, but its just as ignorant to ignore blatant evidence, and better more coheisive studies like we are getting now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here