Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theman7676

peach tree - red heaven

theman7676
11 years ago

i will appreciate any help or advice to save next season corp

here are couple of picture of my 3 year old tree.

tree was loaded with fruits but they all dropped and all had this clear gel / waxy thing form on all of them. lots of leaf lose as well

i am located in ontario, canada, zone 5b

thank you so much, eli

first season had 8 beautiful tasty fruits, 2nd season had about 5 (but there was a windy cold front that killed all flowers after 1 day of bloom)

Comments (9)

• ottawan_z5a
    11 years ago

Eli, can't help in identifying the reason for dropping fruit. However this has been a very hot dry summer and the tree being stressed at some point for lack of moisture (though it looks good now). Just keep it properly watered and fertilized and hope for normal temperatures next spring.

I have a Reliance peach tree that was loaded in the summer of 2010 and 2011. However nothing this year on this peach tree or apple tree or sweet or sour cherries most probably due to the warm week in Ottawa in March (close to +25C for almost a week) follwed by freezing temperatures and even dipping to close to -10C at some point. On top of that, the tree got 'leaf curl' peoblem this year. This reminds me to start watering it now.

• Scott F Smith
    11 years ago

Any time a fruit drops cut it open and look for bugs. Your peaches likely were infested with the plum curculio, a widespread pest. Google that word for more information. If you don't do something to protect the fruits they will drop every year.

Scott

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

Also the tree doesn't look at all good to me. At this time of the year it should be lush with new growth with an almost inpenetrable canopy- that is without summer pruning.

Young peach trees need freedom from ground competition in the form of weeds and sometimes even from large nearby trees. A feeble young tree will drop fruit even without insect problems. Just doesn't generate enough energy for fruit production AND survival.

Here in S. NY state peaches (unlike E. plums, nectarines and apples) aren't so much bothered by PC and it is plant bugs that take the biggest toll. Because bugs feed from the outside, fruit doesn't usually drop off from their damage when small.

• theman7676
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you all for the advice.
    i just cut open one remaining fruit and i dont see no insect damage from the inside....only the wax outside....
    not sure if there is anything i can do of course for next season....

• luke_oh
    11 years ago

It looks like Oriental Fruit Moth. I had the OFM problem last year. I changed my spray schedule this year and it seemed to work for me. Maybe I was just lucky. Get as much info as you can on the OFM, there's lots available on this site. luke

• sautesmom Sacramento
    11 years ago

FYI--it's actually "Red Haven" or "Redhaven" (but I like your name--Red Heaven--a lot better! Sounds yummier!)

Carla in Sac

• funyuns22
    9 years ago

Did your peaches split in addition to the clear goo coming out of them? If so, you might research something called pit split. 95% of our peaches dropped (after thinning). All of the peaches were split and had clear hard gel dripping out of them. When I cut them open, there was no sign of any infestations inside. There was a clear goo surrounding the pit though, and the pit was filled with goo (it hadn't hardened even though the peaches were 1 1/2" in diameter, not sure when they should harden) I searched the www for over a month for the combination of the clear goo and the split fruit, and the only thing I could come up with was "split pit" since there was no sign of any infestation. I can't guarantee that's really the problem, but it's the closest thing I've found. Please post if that sounds like what you experienced or if you discover it's something else that caused it.

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

First things first. First is always get a healthy growing tree, then worry about fruit. Don't expect ;your tree to take care of you when you haven't provided it the conditions to thrive. I'm not saying this is why your peaches are dropping, just that your emphasis is wrong. That tree is too weak to be bearing fruit for the sake of the tree.

• rayrose
    9 years ago

I agree. Your tree is too young and not healthy enough to be bearing fruit. If you let it carry fruit in its first two years, you have stunted the trees' growth and may have
    permanently damaged it. The tree has also not been properly pruned and is naturally aborting the fruit, in order to survive.
    There are many posts on this forum on how to properly grow peach trees.

Sponsored
Koura Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Virginia's Top Choice for Reliable General Contractors