Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Am I paranoid is somebody poisening my raspberries.

Posted by champagne_charly none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 7:01

Hello,

I transplanted some raspberries a few months ago. Gave them lots of Fish bone and blood and root hormones. First 3 days they were beautiful with little to no wilt on new shoots. I confess there after i neglected to water them for 2 weeks. Lots (30%) died. I presumed this was simply neglect.

However weeks on and every time I go back I notice that new shoots that have come through and produced foliage and in some case flower and berry formations have gradually died back starting from the leaves and then the whole shoot.

I'm not the best at watering raspberies given I've never needed to in the past... but all canes and good root structures given they were all minimum of 2 year old canes. There has been lots of contention in respect of so many soft fruits being grown that I am suspicious of fowl play. I gave some of the plants a good 10l of water each last sunday to go back again yesterday to find that one of the healthy(ish) plants bearing greenshoots with blossom had almost completly died back and was soon to add to the ever extending diying plants.

I have read up on some diseases affecting raspberry canes http://www.which.co.uk/documents/pdf/raspberry-cane-diseases-153695.pdf but nothing seems to apply.

I'm hoping for some advice opinions on what is happening/ what to do. I'm considering getting some sort of analyses done although am sure if it is possible and at what kind of cost (here in the UK).

Thanks in advance..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Am I paranoid is somebody poisening my raspberries.

Is this on an allotment? I assume so, since no one would be going into your garden. And what is the contention over soft fruit growing?

It is best to plant raspberries when they are dormant i.e. December to March. So, if you put yours in later that when they already had foliage that would be the first possible source of trouble.

Secondly, you gave them 'lots' of pretty strong fertilisers so that could be another problem. They don't really need anything at planting.

I don't know what 'root hormones' you added but they are not necessary for raspberries which are very unfussy to transplant.

Finally the erratic watering can't be helping. No water for 2 weeks would be pretty damaging to new transplants with foliage. The flowers and leaves may be just growing from the reserves in the canes and not be being supplied by the roots at all. And it is advisable not to allow newly planted raspberries to fruit anyway the first year. Have you dug down to see if the soil is moist a spade depth down? It could either be too dry or waterlogged.

I am not suspicious by nature so I'd propose over-babying at planting combined with erratic watering before I'd suspect foul play. You don't say if anything nearby is dying too.

But I don't know the background of your situation. Can you show us some pictures? Weedkiller damage would be easier to diagnose if we could see the problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here