Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Surround and leaf hoppers

Posted by harvestman 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 7:14

Anyone (Scott) no the efficacy of Surround against leaf hoppers on apples, E. plums and pears?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Surround and leaf hoppers

Hman, all I know is it is labeled for leafhoppers. I have never had leafhopper problems so have not tried it.

Scott

o

Scott, wow, I'm surprised the pest isn't part of your complex. So your apple shoots grow all season long without being abused by these tiny pests? No shrivled shoots? Maybe its the affect of your residual Surround.

Thanks for the label info.

o

I do see leafhoppers but not many and not on apples. It could well be the early season Surround is cutting down their numbers.

Scott

o

Ive heard it works really good against alot of different pests including leafhoppers. Its just kaolin clay right?

o

Processed kaolin clay, so it can be sprayed, but it contains no synthetic additives.

After I got Scott's word I looked further and found that while fairly affective against white leaf hopper it takes several applications to get control while synthetics require one or two. For some pests, like pear psyla, Surround is used by conventional growers, I think mostly for the advantage that they can't develop resistance.

o
RE: Surround and spider mites

I've wondered about Surround's effects on spider mites, since dust is supposed to favor the mites over their predators.

o

I never have any spider mites. The one thing I wonder if it encourages is aphids, I get a lot of aphids on my apples and plums and wondered if the aphid eaters are not deterred by the Surround. Besides aphids I have not noticed any greater concentration of any kind of bug.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here