Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hansen Chrry Bushes

Posted by CharlieBoring 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 7:15

This spring I planted two Hansen cherry bushes. Has anyone tried these? I am in zone 7. How do they taste? I understand that they produce a little fruit the second year; is that true?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hansen Chrry Bushes

I planted a few of these years ago. I did not care for the taste but the plant itself was very pretty in the spring. Unfortunately I found out from these that I cannot grow any cherry related plant because of a fungus problem. I would grow them again if I could but only for the spring flowers.

o

I have a few and I like them. They have nice flowers and it stays small and pretty dense growing. They cherries are not going to taste like the store bought sweet cherries but I eat them and they are not too bad.

o

Hansen's bush cherry is supposedly a selected form of the native wild Sand Cherry, Prunus besseyi, but most people agree that simply Hansen's = Sand Cherry.

So just realize that what you have is essentially just a wild native shrub and not a cultivated fruiting plant like sour or sweet cherries. That said, this species is incredibly tough, drought tolerant, precocious, productive, a good wildlife plant, and handsome as well.

The fruit is not the best for fresh eating, but wonderful for pretty much any kind of processing, and is much bigger than just about any other native cherry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here